1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to expect/prepare for first teaching post in mixed yr1/2 class?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Rachie909, Jun 19, 2011.

1. I have recently got a job in a year 1/2 class at a church of england primary school. I am really excited to start, but feeling slightly nervous about what to expect.

I was hoping that I would be able to get some advice/ideas on what questions to ask, what to prepare or even just any tips! The job is also only temporary for a couple of terms so I was wondering how much changes you can make to the classroom when the teacher may be returning?

Thanks!!

2. I have recently got a job in a year 1/2 class at a church of england primary school. I am really excited to start, but feeling slightly nervous about what to expect.

I was hoping that I would be able to get some advice/ideas on what questions to ask, what to prepare or even just any tips! The job is also only temporary for a couple of terms so I was wondering how much changes you can make to the classroom when the teacher may be returning?

Thanks!!

3. Hello, I am also starting my NQT year in September with year 1/2, its a CofE school too!
    Im excited but also a bit worried about the fact that the year one's will be coming out of a child initiated, play based environment, wheraes the year two's will be getting ready for sats! Any advice on managing these transitions together would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

4. I hear ya!!
    Just coming out of my NQT year but moving from year 1 to year 1/2...no idea how to work the transition...can do the year 1 transition but not sure how to add year 2's into that mix properly!

5. It depends on your school and the staffing you have. I did a long term supply post in a Year 1/2 class - we split the class 3 times a week which allowed you to give the Year 1s and Year 2s extra tailored support.
    We also had a play based learning area - again Year 1 had 3 sessions there a week (all topic play based learning opportunities) and Year 2 had 2 sessions. This was a nice way to help the transition from EYFS to Year 1, and the Year 2's also benefited from the play based approach.
    We also set for literacy and numeracy - which helped a lot, as you could target the groups within each set.
    I'd also suggest pairing a Year 2 with a Year 1 as a "buddy" during the start of term - this helps the Year 2s to feel responsible and grown up, whilst also supporting the Year 1's during transition.
    Good luck - I had a lovely class and really enjoyed the play based approach in this school.