1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to expect - job internally advertised

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jennifaerie, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Jennifaerie

Jennifaerie New commenter

I have been made aware that a role is coming up at a school where my maternity cover is due to end shortly. I know that these questions will be answered in due course but I wondered if anyone had had any experience of this situation? I believe I will be the only or one of very few applicants as the role would be a demotion for other members of staff and any others on the same pay scale want to be part-time. I'm hoping to be prepared to apply ASAP as I will be back in school teaching over the next week or two.
    • Is the application form usually the same as for an external role?
    • How are internal vacancies usually advertised?
    • Does the recruitment process usually follow the same format e.g. shortlisting/ interview/ lesson? I realised that the pandemic will affect this.
    • Should I write a letter of application/ personal statement?
    I know I can only be minimally prepared considering it hasn't yet been advertised. Has anyone applied for an internal role in primary?

2. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

If it is only to be advertised internally, then they may just ask for an application letter. However if is it to be advertised externally and you are an internal candidate, then you will have to apply in the same way as everyone else.
    Don’t forget to sell yourself.

3. neverstopdreaming

neverstopdreaming New commenter

I had an internal interview last year to make my role permanent. It was only advertised internally. The head actually came and showed me the advert! I had to fill in the borough’s normal application form, complete with a personal statement, and then I had an interview with the head and phase leader. I didn’t have to teach an observed lesson but they had both been in my classroom before and seemed to be happy with what they had seen. I had normal interview questions and I made sure I tried to sell myself, as if they hadn’t met me before. It was a role that no one else wanted and I was the only applicant.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is what we were always told.
    Apply like any other applicant and emphasize all your positives and skills as if the school had never met you. So often people think 'well they know that' and thereby rule themselves out.

5. maleprime

maleprime New commenter

I was an internal candidate this time last year for a fixed term job which I had stepped into without interview. I filled in the application form as normal but only needed to tweak my personal statement slightly. I was observed teaching the other class in my year group (as were the external candidates).

I definitely echo that you need to sell yourself by discussing things that you have achieved or done in your role even if the interview panel know/regard that about you. Treat the interview as you would as an external one - in your answers refer to colleagues by their role title so you give that formality as opposed to familiarity by using Mr/Mrs or casual use of first name - e.g. "I have liaised with the designated safeguarding lead ...., I have received additional CPD from the Maths coordinator..."

My Head and Deputy interviewed me and put me at ease by acknowledging the context of it being internal. It wasn't a done deal going into it and I felt it was my job to lose if anything so that put fire into me and I gave it my all. Afterwards, I knew that there couldn't of been anything else I could have done or said. Thankfully I got it and have had a wonderful year of development and positive feedback.

Good luck :)

TheoGriff and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Jennifaerie

Jennifaerie New commenter

Thanks so much for all your replies. It's only being advertised internally but it sounds like it's worth updating my application form and basic personal statement in anticipation regardless. If nothing else, at least it'll be up to date.

I'll make sure to sell myself and everything I've done this year. The panel do all know me well but I will make sure to pretend they don't if I get an interview. Fingers crossed! Luckily the same presumed panel interviewed me a year ago for my current role so I can hope that their questions aren't too dissimilar.

You're right, it's my job to lose.

Well done to all those who were successful in their internal interviews.

TheoGriff likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

maleprime and Lara mfl 05 like this.