1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ateacher2018, Dec 24, 2019.

1. ateacher2018

ateacher2018 New commenter

The start to my teaching career hasn't been the best if I'm entirely honest. I had a bad experience in my first teaching job and then left to do supply.

I really enjoy doing supply and in the summer term a school who I regularly did supply work at offered me a job share position but still supply up until Christmas.

I accepted the post as I needed to get my NQT year finished and it gave me the opportunity to get it done. Initially I was supported and made to feel happy in the school, like I was when I worked supply.
    Now that my NQT year has finished the school have asked me to stay on. I've agreed to stay till February half term but I feel like I've made a mistake.

The job share role is hard as I do one day in one year group and two days in another year group. I feel that because the classes aren't mine when I'm planning I need to double check things over. I've now been told the honey moon period is over and I need to take my own initiative. I appreciate this but how can I just plan and turn up without discussing with the other class teachers. Its making me feel extremely worried.

I feel like I would rather return to short term supply. I was happy doing that but the school have made it clear they want me to stay and unfortunately I didn't do the right thing for myself by saying no.
    I really dont know what to do. Worried about the return after xmas break!

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Start applying for other permanent jobs

Short term supply work is dying.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Is this on a supply contract? In that case you're only at the most tied to a week's notice (though I did see a fortnight's notice once) and even that is unenforceable by the school/agency in any practical sense. More important is the fact that this time of year that supply is most required and you can either jump knowing that a job is very easy to come by in January, or you can use this to make sure your current school treats you more favourably. Nothing overt just lots of hustling with various organ-grinders to make sure it's a more pleasant experience.

agathamorse, pepper5 and ateacher2018 like this.
  4. ateacher2018

ateacher2018 New commenter

Yes it's on a supply contract,
    @JohnJCazorla thank you for your advice

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  5. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I would use the present to get experience, you will make mistakes, we all do and you will learn from the mistakes. At the same time I would apply for other roles, but sometimes you will other schools sound good, but can be in truth, hell holes, so be careful in jumping ship without thinking carefully about any potential move.

So as JohnJ as said see what they can do to improve your role within the school, because they are obviously keen on you and your nerves may be getting the best of you, and I would go back with a positive mood and you never know, it may turn out fine in the long-term.

6. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Established commenter

I'm guessing this is primary rather than secondary? If so, you might want to talk to your co-teachers about the timetable - unless you already do this, it might be more straightforward - especially for the one-day class - if you plan standalone lessons e.g. you decide with your co-teacher that you will teach all of the RE, science, standalone grammar, arithmetic revision and a carousel of guided reading (or whatever works for your school) as that will allow you to plan separately and you won't have to worry so much about being-in-the-right-place. I know someone who has this kind of arrangement with her job-share (2 non-consecutive days) and it works well for them.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I think we've all had to share classes with other teachers at some point. The method I've used for secondary is to email the other teachers involved in the particular class, so that I can find out what they are planning to do in the future with that shared class, enabling me to plan accordingly. Alternatively you could agree in advance a common Scheme of Work with responsibilities allocated clearly to individual teachers. Obviously you need to play your role in the planning because otherwise it falls entirely to the other teacher, which isn't fair. You don't plan WITHOUT consulting the other teachers, you plan as a team member WITH those other teachers, so that the teaching is seamless as far as the kids are concerned.

Alternatively you can agree with the other teacher(s) the division of the curriculum. For example you cover certain topics and the other teacher(s) cover different topics so the kids associate you with one valuable area and the other teacher(s) with the rest.

If you have the opportunity to make a difference at a school which values you, I would counsel against throwing caution to the wind and rejoining daily supply. As someone's said already there is no promise of work and it has been a very hard year. As I mentioned in a previous dedicated thread, agencies are using new, inexperienced graduates as well as unqualified cover supervisors shared between academies, or TAs/LSAs in primary, to save high costs paid to agencies. Daily supply is on its way out, or dying as someone's rightly said. If you depend on your pay for your survival then supply is not the safest way forward in the longer term.

agathamorse likes this.