1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Tartan01, Jul 18, 2019.

  1. T0nyGT

    T0nyGT Lead commenter

    This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    You can't opt out of society when it comes to paying tax and opt in when it comes to using public services then expect the locals to love you.
    576 likes this.
  2. 4019775

    4019775 New commenter

    There are plenty of jobs for English teachers in the Scottish state sector but the vast majority are not worth having and will be no more than crowd control with 'restorative justice' procedures to follow after you have been told to fvk off, spat on, attacked etc.etc. That means you sit down with the kid who spat at you and work out a way forward. Brilliant stuff.

    You will be down to minimum non contact time, classes in S1/2 will all be 33 in a class and S3-6 all 30. There will be no resources, no photocopying, you will not be allowed to print anything, no computers and it will be like going back in time (I lasted one week in Fife last year, IB maths/chemistry, before walking out, always walk never run). Headmaster followed me into car park and made a long list of threats against me regarding future employment. It took me two days to get a job in an old school UK private. They have still to fill the vacancy in the state school a year on and are re advertising now (the school by the shipyard/bridges).

    I don't know what the job situation would be like for you in private sector. The number of schools in Scotland who do the IB you can count on one hand (two in Edinburgh and one in St Andrews). The Scottish state sector has really gone down hill in the last few years. Private sector is great almost 50k, pension, meals, school bus to work, teach the brightest of their generation etc but for your own sanity/quality of life I would strongly say give the Scottish state sector a wide berth.
  3. krakowiak6

    krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

    EFL and a teacher of English in a UK school are not the same. You'd need a PGCE and QTS in English to teach English in a UK school. International schools take EFL/ESL teachers but some students are English first language so you've got to be able to teach that as well as just EFL/ESL.
  4. Tartan01

    Tartan01 New commenter

    Dear Krako, pleased to tell you I am both, TESOL and secondary English, and now officially registered as both with GTCS. You are quite right to say they are not the same thing but if you have the relevant qualifications you can be registered in both, as I did successfully.
  5. Dramakween

    Dramakween Occasional commenter

    If you’ve gone to all the trouble and expense of registering with the cranky GTCS, then it sounds like you are considering going back to Scotland. I had a quiet chuckle to myself that they recognised a teaching qualification from Chile. The can be very pernickety towards people who’ve qualified in England, even with a desperate! teacher shortage, but Chile? Come on in, no problem. That aside, I’m sure your children would have a lovely time in Scotland (not sure about the Curriculum for Excellence, though). However, as 4019775 (or thereabouts) says, Scottish state sector teaching can be sh1te, so if you’ve been away I doubt you’d enjoy it.
  6. swsimp160

    swsimp160 Occasional commenter

    Dramakween GTCS are not “persnickety” towards people who qualify in England they simply, quite rightly, do not recognise/accept their qualification. Why you laugh about Chile I don’t know. Presumably, with typical English arrogance, you look down on their teacher training. Why should a teacher shortage mean Scotland follow England into the gutter when it comes to who they allow in front of a class?

    Not just Scotland an English qualification will not get you registered, as an example, with any college of teachers in any Canadian province. Someone on a while back with a degree in exercise science teaching science in England and complaining they couldn’t get registered abroad to teach. Well done GTCS and all other countries for not following England into the teacher training gutter.
    alanglasgow likes this.
  7. Tartan01

    Tartan01 New commenter

    Actually, I'm quite certain the teaching qualification I did from an accredited university in Chile was probably much more demanding than in England. It was over two hundred credits, meant going to classes at university after working all day in a school and was extremely challenging, especially as many of the subjects apart from those directed specifically to English were done in Spanish. Sorry England is not superior in everything... I have one ordinary degree and two Masters also but yes they are awfully cranky aren't they? In my opinion, they have clear rules, meet those rules and you are registered, if not well what can you expect... Better to not discriminate against Chile and then Scotland.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

Share This Page