1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by alanglasgow, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

I'm from UK but been living and working in Chile for several years in some schools including IB English language and literature. Previously, I worked for a time in EFL department of a UK University. In fact, I taught EFL for several years in Spain and Chile and UK before studying a more formal teacher qualification in Chile. I'm not sure what to do, married with three young kids, and recently I applied for registration with GTCS and have passed successfully through the process. They recognized my Chilean teaching qualification. I have the option to go back to Scotland, therefore. I wanted to go back to Spain but the whole homologación process is a nightmare unless a private school will take you, but salaries seem difficult to live on. I am currently a HOD English but looking for longer term, more viable option. Any ideas or advice?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Register with Search or another agency and start looking?

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

China!

One or two misguided people also contact an ancient pachyderm that is rumoured to wander round this forum.

4. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

I'm not going to China, any other suggestions?

5. gulfgolf

You aren’t giving us much to work with. You might have better luck if you point in the direction of what you’re interested in, and experienced posters suggest how to get there.

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'I'm not going to China'

Don't beat about the bush, but any particular reason?

How about these suggestions, anywhere in S.E. Asia, Eastern Europe, The Middle East, Africa (dumbells likes it), other parts of South America, Central America or NZ.

You could always follow gulfers excellent advice!!!!!

yasf likes this.
  7. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

Hi Alan,

I'm in a similar position to you (minus the kids). Send me a PM if you like - I'm not able to message yet.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

With a closed mindset that the OP seems to have, i definitely would not recommend Africa.

9. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

Tricky one - open to good possibilities that are family friendly and mean the kids get school places - prefer Europe. Interested in being in IB school. Need to sell up here in Chile so needs to be somewhere with decent salaries. Have lived in Spain previously and would like to go back but would need to be HOD or leadership role there to be worth it I suppose.

10. gulfgolf

Doubtful even a leadership role would make Spain financially attractive.
    I often advise: don’t focus on specific locations. Register with an agency and start looking. Look at each open post with an open mind- could this be good for me?

yasf, 576 and dumbbells66 like this.
  11. the hippo

Yes, the pollution is BAD in some Chinese cities. But not all of them. Some places in the ME are not exactly foreigner-friendly.

12. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Some people want to avoid China for reasons other than pollution, you know. For example the fact there are concentrations camps in Xin Jiang...

Aim4Jannah likes this.
  13. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

Dumbbell, just a matter of preference, just like you with Spain....

T0nyGT likes this.
  14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

IGCSE and A Level Spanish is/are a popular combination to take in a large number of schools world wide.

Unfortunately you may need to live outside your comfort zone if you wish to work "abroad ".

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I think there's a little of a hivemind in this forum, naturally because of the personalities needed to move to such places around the globe. The fact is that most people wouldn't just move to China, or a country in Africa with their family. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people want a more Western style culture and some home comforts. It's easy to dismiss such things as 'ignorant' when you don't have children but kids in the equation make a massive difference. I'm sure Shanghai is a fantastic place, but I wouldn't drag my children there for money.

dumbbells66 and blueskydreaming like this.
  16. the hippo

Well, money may indeed be an important motivating factor for many on this forum. Yes, I know that I have argued that there ought to be lots of other factors that ought to be taken into consideration, but the truth is that if you want a "Western" culture and some home comforts, then then does rule out a lot of places.

T0nyGT, I totally accept your point that teachers who are also parents are going to have a very different perspective. Singletons and married couples might be okay about taking some risks, but not teachers who are parents.

T0nyGT likes this.
  17. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'Dumbbell, just a matter of preference, just like you with Spain....'

I have to say the dumbell's views on Spain are based on his experiences there, while the op's antithesis to China I assume is not? Although he/she still does not say why they would not go to China

If it is air pollution as some posters are guessing they should remember that the air pollution is bad in lots of places including London and large areas of the UK, China is not alone, and has been addressing the issue for some time.

'the fact there are concentrations camps in Xin Jiang...'

It is good that some people take a moral stand on this, and I would not work in the US for the same reason, but it cuts down on one's options if you do so; i.e. most of S.E. Asia, most of Africa (sorry dumbells!) parts of Eastern Europe (sorry again dumbells!) and parts of Latin and Central America. This is not my personal list just some of the countries with problematic governments both left and right.

18. the hippo

Successive Bulgarian governments have done little to tackle corruption and cronyism. The gap between the uber-rich in Sofia and the poorest of the poor in the countryside is MASSIVE in BG and there is almost no "safety net" for those who cannot look after themselves. I am sitting on the balcony of my house, as the wind rustles the leaves of the walnut trees, listening to the sounds of the little River Nishava. Bulgaria is my adopted home and there are many things that I love about this country, but Bulgarian politics are horrible and many Bulgarians hate the gypsies with a venom that makes Mr Trump look positively mild and gentle.

19. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It also depends on where you can find a job first before you can be high handed on what country the school situated.

The 1st priority for a country is the safety of my family and the 2nd is the equality of education for my children at the school I will be employed.

We all have our own priorities in life.

576 likes this.
  20. Tartan01

Tartan01 New commenter

Well I worked for four years with Chinese students and loved it but I'm thinking about my kids and naturally some places attract some and others not. I also worked in Spain for four years and loved it unlike Dumbells but he has his preferences too. At the end of the day like any decent parent I'm trying to do the best for my kids. I'm looking to settle more and not move from place to place just to make money... that's fine if you want adventures and don't have three kids under 10 or maybe you have and you like that lifestyle. Each to their own.

blueskydreaming likes this.