1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do???

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jellylegs11, Jan 19, 2019.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

I know the decision has to be made by myself ultimately but thoughts would be appreciated.

I'll try and keep it short...
    I was a teacher for 10 years on SLT and completed MaST which led me to take a job in HE lecturing primary maths ITT. I was a team leader of 11 and presented at many boards etc etc...
    I decided I missed the chalk face too much and my career was moving more in the research direction. I took the jump and applied for a headship. I was told that although my application was good and I had many of the necessary qualities and experiences needed, I had been out of school too long (5 years).
    So I jumped into an inclusion lead role which lead to assistant head and now deputy head whilst DH is on mat leave. I took a 'step into headship' course last year and have started to look again. Question is... one of my friends is a head of an independent school and he said he would never look back. Anyone moved from state to independent on here? And would it be a difficult one for my first headship? There's a local school with a vacancy at present.

Additionally, I've found a post for an emotional well-being lead over schools initially a one year role (runs across sectors) which sounds really interesting but would this look bad on my CV for headship at a later date?

Very keen to move on or else I feel my jump from HE management has been wasted and a backward step.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Apply for the HT post.

If you don't get it, try again. If you do, great.

Go on. Apply. The worst the school can say is your not ready, so you carry on looking.

Shedman and jellylegs11 like this.