1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by marmitemate, Jan 9, 2019.

1. marmitemate

marmitemate New commenter

So, in a school due to mitigating circumstances I need to leave. Been offered a way back to my old school, but teaching out of subject and fixed term (but have been told there will be something after that) ..

So, do I grin and bear it where I'm at - that's only fixed until summer term and with everything going on

Stay and continue to apply out, but no guarantee of that

Or move to the old place... (where the head said he would support me on whatever I needed to do)

I guess, I'm worried about career wise, only been in this post for 6 months and currency SLT, so it will a drop... and how will it look?? Will I be able to move back up...

Any advice...

2. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Go back to the old place would be my choice. Happiness is more important than status / career progression.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Ooh difficult one.
    The offer from your old school from a supportive Head sounds inviting, but supposing that there isn't something after that? How do you feel about teaching out of subject and might it be difficult to return to in the future?
    A drop down from SLT might indeed be difficult to move back up o for a while. So really how important is that responsibility and the increase in pay to finances?

Should you stay, this term is peak job-hunting time and you have a better chance. Mind you taking time off for interviews sounds as if ty could be problematic, as Heads don't have to give you time off. Also break each term down into 'how many weeks to 'get through' Makes everything more manageable.

In the end it is your decision and only you can make it. Someone on here used to say 'Toss a coin'. If the result makes you feel happy or sad, yi e either relief that the decision is right, so follow it, or if horror, at least you will know your own true feelings.

Best of luck whatever yo decide.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given your two other threads, you would be mad to stay where you are any longer than you have to.
    Move as soon as you can.

5. Catjellycat

Catjellycat New commenter

Go. People worry too much about short entries on the CV imo. If you have 5 jobs in a row of 6 months, I might notice but 1 or even 2 isn't even a consideration.

Pomza and tall tales like this.
  6. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 New commenter

Do what makes you happy. That is my only advice. It sounds as if you have a gift-horse offering a way out, that doesn't happen to most of us. As previously mentioned, your other posts seem to make this a bit of a no-brainer. Happiness is so underrated in our society. Good luck whatever you decide x

sparkleghirl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

It sounds as if you are unhappy where you are. It also seems as if you are being offered an opportunity to get out, to a place you already know and presumably were happy at. So ask yourself, do you want to stay where you are unhappy, or...?
    Only you can answer this.