1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mishelli1990, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mishelli1990

mishelli1990 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I just want to see what people have done post a career in teaching? I am an NQT and I am struggling with the role (as people who have seen my previous posts will know).

I am just curious to know what careers there are out of teaching? I am happy to give anything a try (I have worked in lots of different areas in the past), but I feel a job where I can leave work at work every evening is what I need for my sanity. The only thing keeping me going through this year is knowing there is a life after teaching so if people have moved careers it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks in advance :)

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

There are thousands of opportunities available which are not teaching. You need only ask yourself at what you are willing to work.

Anyone who wishes always to be able to switch off from work when they leave their job for the day should not enter a profession.

border_walker and pepper5 like this.
  3. mishelli1990

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am a hard worker and I enjoy keeping busy. I feel like I have worded my point a little vague, which I think has given the wrong idea slightly. I am an extremely professional and hard working person, I do not mean to shut off from work completely. I mean that I do not want it taking over my life. Which I feel the pressure and demand of teaching would do.

Thanks again.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. fantasticant

fantasticant New commenter

I agree that teaching can have that impact - and from experience, the demands it makes of your life don't go away as you get more experienced in the classroom. This is particularly the case in the current data driven environment.

About 50% of teachers don't retire that way - but instead go on to do something different for a while afterwards. There are other things you can do with your experience - training, other government / public sector posts, or following another passion you have. If you want to still teach, but in a different way - there is another option:

I believe the connected world we live in gives those with teaching experience a huge opportunity - because all over the world ordinary people are going online to learn new things. Much of the training they invest in isn't effective - as those delivering it don't have the direct experience with learners. Those with classroom experience have an advantage here.

Teaching online is now an option - for those teachers with entrepreneurial spirit. My blog has more information, if that interests you.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

mishelli1990 likes this.
  5. mishelli1990

Thank you for this. I would love to do something like this, I just don't think I have the IT skills and knowledge to do it. Although online tutoring is always an option.

Thanks again.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You are welcome.

Complete your NQT year if you can and If you decide to leave teaching then it will be best not to hang around its edges looking to replicate a teachers income &or the gov-marketed lifestyle while not being a teacher. Get some distance in order to get clarity. You have a degree and are personable so look at other options. Take a job for a while which requires little preparation and has little responsibility so you have the time and space to think things through for yourself. Be patient but move forward.

One last thing, beware of people trying to scam you via email subscriptions & newsletter sign-ups. They are interested in taking your money, marketing at you, selling your data & hacking your system and have no interest whatsoever in your future prosperity.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    mishelli1990 likes this.
  7. mishelli1990

This makes so much sense thank you. I think after this year it is definitely going to help me to take a step away to get back to normality and feel like I have a grip on my life again. Hopefully in the future I could return to teaching, but if not like you said I have a degree and I have lots of transferable skills to find another job.

Thank you again for this, it has really made me feel a lot more optimistic about post-NQT life.

:)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  8. mishelli1990

Hi guys,

I am just asking for a little advice about pathways. I am leaning towards a move to office work (legal or council I think) or something in writing (journalism or online).
    If anyone has any advice or experience making the jump from teaching to something else please let me know.

9. cadillac99

cadillac99 New commenter

Related to teaching: you could work at teaching recruitment agencies - as a trainer or consultant or manager. Teaching recruitment agencies are not like normal agencies where the focus is on sales. I met an ex teacher who now works as a trainer at an agency and he is much happier =)

Good Luck.

10. mishelli1990

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. Training and managerial roles are definitely ones to think about. I am quite lucky as I have worked in a few different roles prior to becoming a teacher (retail, youth work, clinical trials and TA work) I think I am leaning towards training or office (admin or support) so that has really helped me. I am going to get through to May (if I can) and start emailing companies about prospects and opportunities.

It is also so nice to hear that people who have left teaching and gone into other roles are happy in their choices.

Thanks again :)