1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do.....?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by meister, May 1, 2017.

1. meister

meister New commenter

Advice please!

I have been a head of two very small village schools for the past 13 years, in teaching since 1989. Had second OFSTED at current school last year, school currently 'good' and it is a great place to work.

Thing is that I now feel that I want to do perhaps one more year (by then I will be 54) and then move and do something different entirely. Don't need to access pension until 60 as no mortgage and monthly outgoings are around £500 so could easily cover that with savings/ some employment (we have a BTL property too). Wife is due to get her teacher + stakeholder pension in 2019 anyway.

Don't want to move to a larger school as that, in my experience, bring more hassles. I did 4 terms as HT at larger primary school and hated it so went back to smaller (current) school!!

Funding pressures, having to wear so many hats and the constant changes are losing their appeal so I do think I may have done my time. I think I still want to work but don't want the 'buck' stops with me worry/feeling any more. Anyone had a similar experience/ feeling? Any ideas for what next?

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I felt exactly like that and retired last December. I had intended to do nothing as I could take my pension and avc. However, I was offered a small part time contract which I am enjoying and it makes me still feel useful. I am currently considering another option but I don't want to work more than two days a week.

I found it impossible to get a large school headship as governors didn't think you would know how a large school works! In small schools you have to do everything with fewer people to delegate to.

Consultancy/ adviser work can be lucrative if you can get started with it. At 54 you have quite a way to go before collecting pensions. Do your sums carefully and plan well before resigning. Good luck.

3. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

Every head I know who has retired (which seems to have rocketed in the last couple of years, can't think why) looks about ten years younger six months into retirement... It gives you an idea of how haggard the rest of us look!

Only you know whether you can afford it. In terms of enjoyment I would ask- 'Is the system about to get any better?'.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Does your local university have any opportunities for you? There may be things going on that you know nothing about.