1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ellawheelerwilcox, Aug 22, 2015.

1. I suffered a stroke last year and have been off sick, tried to return to work in the summer term but found it too tricky for various reasons. GP signed me off again and school asked me to attend occ health in august. I did and was expecting to be told to see how I was in September (my recovery is very slow). Consultant has said it may take more than a year to begin to feel better. I am in a state of shock as occ health recommended that I go through redeployment. I am now having to wait until beginning of term for a response from HR and school, in some ways it has helped me come to terms with my future but in other ways given me plenty of time to worry. I feel I am grieving my career at a time in my life when I thought I had years ahead. Very little was explained to me at the meeting so i'm feeling lost to say the least. I was told the council will support me in finding an alternative role. I will have to apply for the jobs though and am not the most confident of candidates. I have no idea what sort of role it will be or if the pay will be on a similar scale. I am so scared of my future and was wondering if any other people had gone through a similar experience. I would be interested in what you are doing now or how it worked out for you. I have contacted my union but my local rep doesn't work holidays and the national were not particularly helpful and brushed it off by saying, see what they offer you first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this especially as it's still the hols!

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry to hear of your stroke and the slow recovery. I hope the recovery continues.

It is good that the council is supporting you - I guess they're trying to work out the most positive course of action.

My advice would be to analyse yourself, perhaps in conjunction with a trusted other. I can do A, B and C with ease. X, Y and Z cause great difficulties. I like doing...., I could tolerate...., I really don't want to....

Alternatively, find the local council jobs page in the paper, on the web or wherever and look at the jobs.

Private tuition can be a good way of earning, but needs supplementing with other sources of income as the available hours are limited.

Good luck

P

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

In the absence oif any sensible support from your union (grrrrrr...again!), I am going to suggest that you give the free and excellent helpline of the Equality Advisory Support Service a ring and chat to them:

www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/.../ask

I am sorry that you have suffered a stroke and hope you soon recover your health and confidence.

An employer is entitled to seek the redeployment of someone who becomes unable to do their job for health reasons. However, the issue you need to discuss with EASS is whether your stroke is liable to amount to a disability under Equality Act 2010 and whether, therefore, you should be offered redeployment without having to apply for the jobs, as a reasonable adjustment.

xx

4. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Condolences that you have suffered a stroke, particulalry at what sounds like a relatively young age. I hope you get better soon.

I have to say in all honesty myself that if I had suffered a stroke, I would not want to go anywhere near a classroom and teaching until (and if) I had fully recovered.

You need to put your health first, career must come a second. And you must count yourself extremely lucky, strokes are often fatal and to be in a position to be able to work at all after such an event is a massive positive.

Schools have many support roles that, while yes, they may pay much less, may be a good way of keeping you in education while you recover.

Good luck with your recovery!