1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

What to do?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by anon3407, Jan 24, 2012.

  1. So, I was due to have yet another 'interview' with yet another agency so they could register me as the consultant was quite insistent on the phone that I came in.

    Anyway, after thinking about it I decided I would not go to register, as I'm already signed up with 7 (yes 7) other agencies, can't really afford ANOTHER CRB check, and what else could this one offer really?


    So, I sent an email to the consultant guy this morning saying I was sorry, but I wouldn't be able to make it (due to being called into work- make me look desirable and all that I suppose) and I've just check my email and got this in reply:

    'Thank you for letting me know, although I do feel it would be beneficial to come in very soon. I have a mat cover job coming up in the next few weeks and they are asking for CVs to look through at the moment.


    Please give me a call later on today and we can re-arrange this interview


    Regards XXX'

    Now, I would like to think I am not naive enough to take this at face value, and am guessing it'll be another process of me going to sign up for this supposed maternity cover, and then nothing coming from it. AND, considering I am already signed up with 7 other agencies, would think if there was a maternity cover floating about they would probably also be aware of this (I did actually have a phone call a couple of weeks ago about a job starting in March).

    So basically I want to know what you guys (who are more experienced with the whole supply thing) think. Is this an honest call to work (which I doubt) or just another pushy (and he does seem the most pushy of the ones I have dealt with) agent who is looking to fill his books to make sure he fills his quota this month?


    If I get any other agencies phoning I shall be strong and tell them I'm simply not interesting at this moment in time!
     
  2. So, I was due to have yet another 'interview' with yet another agency so they could register me as the consultant was quite insistent on the phone that I came in.

    Anyway, after thinking about it I decided I would not go to register, as I'm already signed up with 7 (yes 7) other agencies, can't really afford ANOTHER CRB check, and what else could this one offer really?


    So, I sent an email to the consultant guy this morning saying I was sorry, but I wouldn't be able to make it (due to being called into work- make me look desirable and all that I suppose) and I've just check my email and got this in reply:

    'Thank you for letting me know, although I do feel it would be beneficial to come in very soon. I have a mat cover job coming up in the next few weeks and they are asking for CVs to look through at the moment.


    Please give me a call later on today and we can re-arrange this interview


    Regards XXX'

    Now, I would like to think I am not naive enough to take this at face value, and am guessing it'll be another process of me going to sign up for this supposed maternity cover, and then nothing coming from it. AND, considering I am already signed up with 7 other agencies, would think if there was a maternity cover floating about they would probably also be aware of this (I did actually have a phone call a couple of weeks ago about a job starting in March).

    So basically I want to know what you guys (who are more experienced with the whole supply thing) think. Is this an honest call to work (which I doubt) or just another pushy (and he does seem the most pushy of the ones I have dealt with) agent who is looking to fill his books to make sure he fills his quota this month?


    If I get any other agencies phoning I shall be strong and tell them I'm simply not interesting at this moment in time!
     
  3. Be both optimistic and wary.
    I've had an agency chasing me for weeks to sign me up. Now that I'm on their books I've not heard a word from them.
     
  4. <font size="3">I would think that your new agency having a maternity cover in your subject is about as likely, and as genuine, as your &lsquo;big win&rsquo; on the Nairobi sweepstake. In 2009 and 2010, when I was trying to get back into work, I ended up registering with over twenty agencies, most of whom promising that I would be in greater demand than penicillin at a &lsquo;Special Clinic&rsquo;. Most of them claimed that &lsquo;just the job&rsquo; for me had &lsquo;just come up&rsquo;, but nothing ever materialised. A rule of thumb seems to be that the louder than fanfare when you join an agency, the more deafening the silence afterwards.</font> I would not fork out for yet another CRB as, within a few months, it will not be accepted anyway. In my naivety, over the course of eighteen months I wasted about &pound;800 on CRB checks
     
  5. Thank you for your replies.

    I rather have a feeling you are correct Albert Dog and the maternity cover post is a figment of the agents imagination.


    Plus, like I said, this agent is rather pushy, even verging on being rude, and it makes me feel rather uncomfortable. NOT how I would like any working relationship to be really. Especially when they're SUPPOSED to be working in my interest (yeah right). I think I shall hold off for now, and if the agent continues to 'bug' me I shall tell him I do not appreciate being 'harrassed' and that I cannot afford to have yet another CRB check done anyway, especially as there's no guarantee of work.
     
  6. les25paul

    les25paul Star commenter

    No don't pay for another CRB for this agency. If there really is a job going and the agency don't want to loose it then they will be willing to stump up the dosh.
    It is however highly unlikely they have a position for you. If there really was a position coming up your other agencies would know about it and also be offering it to you.
    But there is a way you might be able to find out more if you are sneaky by nature (and if you aren't now you soon will be after a few months of agency work). Try to find out what school is looking for cover, the agency will not tell you directly but they might let something slip if you ask them interested questions like:how far away is it?, what tpye of school is it?, is it in special measures? etc. With any information you have gained you can then visit suspected school's websites and see if the vacancy appears there (its where many agencies get their info). If you find it you can then either apply directly or go to one of your preferred agencies with your findings.
    Worth a try, Good Luck

     
  7. Just do what I do, tell the consultant that you've got work elsewhere so are no longer looking for work.
     
  8. LesPaul, that is very sneaky, but I do not have a problem with being sneaky!

    MsBrainy- I did imply that I had work in my original email (the one I sent this morning explaining why I would not be going to the appointment) and told the agency I would be in touch when my circumstances changed. Me thinks they did not like this very much.
     
  9. I don't know anyone who has snagged a maternity contract via an agency. If they did, the school was obviously very flash and decadent. It makes more sense to line someone up for a fixed term contract. Agency staff just aren't worth the risk IMO.
     
  10. As you're not dealing with the agency anymore, do you really give a ___?
     
  11. ...right, first things first. They may very well have a maternity position available but I would be very wary indeed. The chances other agencies will be privy to the same position, so why does this agency think they are different.
    ...dont bother to pay for another CRB, ask one of the others to port it over
    ...ultimately, it wont cause too much (apart from travelling.time etc) to register with said agency, so long as they dont (but they will) ask you to pay for a CRB...tell them to check which of the others can port....
    ...in any case signing up 8 agencies sounds better than 7 doesnt it!!!!!
     

Share This Page