1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do....

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by xkeeleyx, May 8, 2011.

1. Hello all.
    I'm in a pickle, and I'm just really uncertain about what I should do to get out of it.
    Last week, after months of building up to it, I was diagnosed as having anorexia. It came as no surprise, my eating habits have been gradually worsening since January and everyone around me has suspected an eating disorder was the cause.
    I started my first NQT post in January covering a maternity leave contract. It's due to end in 3 weeks.
    I've been incredibly open with my head at school about my situation. In the beginning I was able to reassure her that nothing was effecting my perfomance at school, because honestly it wasn't. However, now is a different story. I find work increasingly difficult, and I have little motivation or energy anymore because of my condition. Some days are a real struggle to plod through because my mind is elsewhere, and I just feel miserable. I have also noticed that my attitude with my wonderful class is straining too as a result.
    My head and I have had chats about if I think I am able to continue to the end, but I really don't know what to tell her. She wants an answer as soon as so something can be sorted either way, but I am torn.
    My heart so badly wants to see it through, but my head is doubting that I am mentally able to. The demands some days make me feel like I am drowning and I don't think I can keep up, and we have the possibility of OFSTED too this term. I feel like if I stayed I would let the school down, but at the same time I don't want to give in because being in class is my only release and distraction from what is happening.

I know it's hard for anyone to tell me what to do for definate, but wise words would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I think it all depends on how you think those 3 weeks will go and what you will do instead. Will you be at home just sitting around, will you make yourself go out and about, will you be receiving treatment?
    Don't think that by going early you'll be letting the school down. If your heart isn't in it then maybe the best thing for your class would be to go and hand them over to someone who has the enthusiasm?
    At the end of the day only you can make the decision on whether you feel capable of carrying on. Good luck x

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

All I would say is not to delay getting treatment/support for your ED. It's a long, hard slog so take every opportunity to concentrate on your health - in the end, that is the really important thing.
    Wishing you well ...

4. cheesypop

cheesypop Occasional commenter

You say that you have been diagnosed with anorexia - have you fully accepted that you have anorexia?
    If you have, do not delay your treatment. It sounds as though your head is being great, so be honest and leave.
    If you haven't, and you think there is any chance that you will 'punish' yourself further if you also don't complete the next 3 weeks, then I would try to get through it.

The only other thing I would say is that do not even think about applying for any other teaching jobs until you are better. Your health comes first. Also, when you are better (and if it is possible) I would go back to see your head and thank her for her support. This is not only a nice thing to do, also if she sees you are better it might make her feel more positive when she is writing further references for you.

Good luck