1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with Yr9 after SATs...

Discussion in 'Science' started by Sianilaa, May 2, 2006.

1. Our usual policy is to start the GCSE syllabus.

Any suggestions/ideas? What are other schools doing?

Siani

2. Our usual policy is to start the GCSE syllabus.

Any suggestions/ideas? What are other schools doing?

Siani

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Usually we do a little catching up of SC1s to pad out the marks they have got during yr 9. This year we are thinking of trying out a few of the new ISAs as a practise for yr10. Set 1 are going to do their GCSE in Statistics between next monsday and the end of June when the exam is. They will use their Maths and Science lessons for this with me doing the sampling, variables and questionaire bits of th syllabus.

4. We are going to practise the data analysis and case study parts of the new GCSE with our kids.

5. Wish we were starting the KS4 - but no - doing "projects"

6. What projects? Could you twist them to give you a head start on the 2006 curriculum?

7. my project is on forensics

lesson 1 - crime scene analysis and gathering evidence (sick, hair samples, blood samples)

lesson 2 - stomach contents analysis; food tests on simulated sick, enzymes H2O2 and catalase

Lesson 3 - finger prints; inheritance of, variation, lifting latent print using cocoa

lesson 4 - hair analysis; anatomy of a hair follicle, microscopy

lesson 5 - blood analysis; identifying if a red liquid is blood using the Kastle-Meyer test, use of positive and negative controls

lesson 6+7 - DNA analysis; kiwi fruit DNA extraction, DNA testing/electrophoresis/comparing autoradiographs

lesson 8+9 - poster making; identifying the criminal, outlining techniques etc

www.courttv.com/forensics_curriculum "cafeteria caper" is the scenario I am basing it on. There are other projects for physics and chemistry.

Other teachers in my dept are doing projects on cancer and physics in sport.

8. We're going the Atom (at least in chemistry) and will spend the 8 or 9 lessons doing brainstorming, reserach, projects, posters and junk models as well as competitions and loads of fun learning that will hopefully help in year 10 when they have to learn about the atom in detail. At tleast the words protons and shells won't seem so bizarre.

9. For attention of: alex311279

Have just looked at your forensic outline for after SATs have you got any more info on the lessons you mentioned (i.e. practical based ones) They sound really cool, I think my Y9 classes would really enjoy doing something like that.

10. ISAs.

getting them trained!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mixture of stuff.

Some AT1s to get some marks.

Top set do GCSE Stats using their Maths and Science lesons. 6 weeks course then the exam.

Some problem solving type lessons.

ICT investigation (Science) so we can get the dataloggersout and tick that box.

12. For those doing OCR gatweway, what about practicising that bloody awful 'Science in the news' nonsense?

Judging by the drivel our current yr10 have written, they could do with a few dry-runs

13. We're covering 'How Science Works' before the start of their KS4 proper in yr10.

14. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

use the department skeleton and say there was a murder (body soaked in acid)
    something was stolen