1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with Y12s when they return from study leave

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by AlisonKatherineJones, Jun 12, 2012.

1. AlisonKatherineJones

AlisonKatherineJones New commenter

Hi, I wondedered if anyone has any ideas to share about what to do with Y12 classes when they return from study leave?

We feel we can't start on coursework as they don't know enough theoretically, and we can't do much theory teaching as they will forget everything over the summer!

I'm looking for a nice little project to do with them, possibly to lead to section B case studies.

Thanks [​IMG]

Ali

2. AlisonKatherineJones

AlisonKatherineJones New commenter

Hi, I wondedered if anyone has any ideas to share about what to do with Y12 classes when they return from study leave?

We feel we can't start on coursework as they don't know enough theoretically, and we can't do much theory teaching as they will forget everything over the summer!

I'm looking for a nice little project to do with them, possibly to lead to section B case studies.

Thanks [​IMG]

Ali

3. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

We do a micro topic on Moral Panics and Youth Subcultures, which they enjoy - we teach some of the theory behind Moral Panics, link the idea of subcultures being involved in them and then the student go away and create a case study / presentation on a Subculture of their choice. This then brings in some theory, issues of representation etc
    It went really well last year, with students dressing up as their chosen subculture when they presented to the rest of the class!
    We then finished by looking at either Quadrophenia or SLC Punks to end off Year 12!

4. Whenever I was stuck, I would go to http://media.edusites.co.uk/category/c/ideology/ and choose something from here. Then get them to develop this with a diary or research project for the summer. You can get them to start the theory/ institutions work early and this will save time later.

Good luck :7 )