1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with the 'No' word

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by rlc81295, Nov 9, 2019.

1. rlc81295

rlc81295 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a student teacher currently on my first placement, and I'm finding behaviour management particularly difficult. Mainly in terms of distracting students, and them saying 'no' when I ask them to move seats. Even after asking them multiple times they say 'no' so I ask them to leave the class and they still say 'no'. It's frustrating because then my overall progress in the lesson is compromised because I'm spending way too long trying to deal with disruptive students. Particularly one class where a group of boys were constantly talking throughout the lesson I asked several different pupils on the tables to move and was constantly met with 'no' and laughter same answer for asking them to leave the classroom. If it was one pupil I might be better but there was 6 pupils all causing trouble, and I can't send them all out at the same time and my department only has room for 1 faculty exclusion. Eventually I managed to get one pupil to move, however they then just shouted across the classroom back to the table whilst the other pupils on the table carried on talking, which made me think that even if I did mange to move all the pupils they would still use be shouting across the room, causing even more disruption. Anybody have any suggestions?

Many Thanks

2. Tinyreader

Tinyreader New commenter

You say you are a student teacher. A few years ago this would have meant that the normal class teacher would be in the room with you, but this isn’t always the case now!
    What form of training are you on? How supportive is your mentor? It sounds as though you need them with you, coaching you until you have gained better control of the class.

An effective behaviour policy would solve this issue fairly quickly but it sounds as though you don’t have that! Have you, with support from your mentor, phoned home to discuss the disruption and defiance with parents?

MathMan1 likes this.
  3. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Sounds like the students are trying to play knowing there is only one isolation place so strength in numbers.

So they have made this a battle, sadly its one you need to win otherwise others will follow.
    Points you could try: (Not saying these will work)

1. Start with a new seating plan if the individual wont move then move everyone else, avoid giving them a choice by putting the books where you want them. They refuse then remove them (No ifs or buts). As backup to this notify someone senior of your issue and ask them to poke their head in when you do this and if the kid says no to you then get the senior person to back you up and put the student in their seat or remove them.

2. Go through the behaviour policy, whatever it says, notify your mentor and ask what they would do. Then follow that and if it doesn't work ask your mentor to show you how to do it.

3. DO NOT TRY TO NEGOTIATE with the student, your already in a position of weakness as they have been repeatedly defiant. It seems an easy solution the student says if I sit here then I will work, as admiral ackbar says "Its a trap" do that for one you must for everyone.

4. When you move them make sure to say why, then they cant say I don't understand to other teachers.

5. If they start shouting across the room remove them.

6. This may sound weird but ive found it works as a subtle strategy. Move the tables around before the lesson, the students wont be so at ease.

Stiltskin likes this.
  4. Tinyreader

Tinyreader New commenter

Another great stock phrase is:
    ‘Are you refusing to follow my instructions?’

There are only 2 options - yes leads to removal or sanction in line with your schools policy. No leads to them doing what you asked them to do.

chris1729, pepper5 and welshwales like this.