1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with the LO?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Ange_mmm, Jan 11, 2011.

1. We are getting married in November when LO will be 15 months old. I am just wondering what would be best to do regarding who will look after him. He will obviously be at the weding with us but ultimately we will be far too distracted to take full responsibility for him [that looks terrible now I have written it but hopefully you know what I mean].
    My mum has offered to look after him all day but she is a bit of a space cadet and he might be toddling by then and she can't run after him. To be honest I would feel a bit bad asking one person to take responsibility for him all day but then again I don't want everyone to pitch in as he could easily wander off if they all think someone else is watching him. The venue is next to a road.
    The other option is to hire somebody to look after him for the day at the wedding. I'm not sure how this would work but could be pricy plus I would have to pay for them to be a guest at the wedding ie meal + the room is charged per person so an extra £20 plus their wages.
    Has anyone been in this situation or have any ideas?
    Thanks

2. We are getting married in November when LO will be 15 months old. I am just wondering what would be best to do regarding who will look after him. He will obviously be at the weding with us but ultimately we will be far too distracted to take full responsibility for him [that looks terrible now I have written it but hopefully you know what I mean].
    My mum has offered to look after him all day but she is a bit of a space cadet and he might be toddling by then and she can't run after him. To be honest I would feel a bit bad asking one person to take responsibility for him all day but then again I don't want everyone to pitch in as he could easily wander off if they all think someone else is watching him. The venue is next to a road.
    The other option is to hire somebody to look after him for the day at the wedding. I'm not sure how this would work but could be pricy plus I would have to pay for them to be a guest at the wedding ie meal + the room is charged per person so an extra £20 plus their wages.
    Has anyone been in this situation or have any ideas?
    Thanks

3. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Firstly, congratulations! I was in a similar position 10 years ago, but as mother of the bride. I have a large age gap between some of my children. My oldest daughter was getting married and my youngest daughter was just 9 months old. I needed to be 'mother of the bride' and my daughter needed me to be so! I paid a family friend, who had babysit previously, to attend the wedding specifically to look after my little one. I didn't want to be distracted from my daughter's big day for one second. It worked well for us, yes I had to pay for food etc. and the sitter's wages, but in the grand cost of the wedding it wasn't a huge expense and worked well for us.
    At one point in the ceremony, my baby did start to cry and the sitter just whipped her outside before anyone had time to register. She brought her back in a few minutes later but it was a weight of my mind having her there.

4. Difficult one, am going to a wedding in March and their son will be 14 months by then, so will let you know what they do!
    A combination of people- in laws, parents, aunts... someone to take resonsibility at each stage (depending on wedding)- split into before service, during service, pre-dinner drinks, dinner, after dinner and bed time.... He needs a room to nap in the day- and your mum could take him for the wedding night.
    Don't worry too much- it will work out! There will be plenty of people happy to play- mum can supervise and am sure plenty of people will be able to run after him!

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Do you have an older teenage cousin (or similar) who may be feeling very anti-family time etc, and not really looking forwards to the wedding?
    Giving someone like that responsibility might make the day easier for them as well as for you!

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Maybe ask a friend to be 'main' wathcer, and a team of people to help but that one person in charge as it were? Weddings are emotional for mums and they want to support so wouldn't complain even if they hate the idea of missing it all, generising I know