1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with the cooking liquor from coca-cola ham...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SleighBelle, Dec 24, 2011.

1. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I've just boiled my ham in Coke and it's glazed and resting, ready to be baked later. I've made it a few times now and the ham itself is glorious.
    However, I'm always left with the Coke/onion/ham stock cooking liquor in the pan and never know what to do with it. Nigella tell us NOT to throw it away in the recipe, but doesn't give any indications as to what it could be used for. Any ideas?

2. Keep it and when you only have bits of ham left throw them in, add a couple of sticks of celery, chopped carrots, onions, thyme, bay leave and pepper corns and peas and make a soup. It will be a bit sweeter than normal but tastes lovely and warming!

Oh! Do NOT try her black bean soup idea - it is horrendously sweet!

3. SleighBelle

I wondered about a soup, Pobble... However, you don't realise that this 2kg ham will probably be demolished by our family by this time tomorrow!

4. Hide some![​IMG]
    Oh, I forgot to include adding stock or water to let the soup down!
    You won't need to include ham, the stock will taste hammy enough.... if that helps!
    Otherwise you could add any odds and ends of veg you have simmer, strain and use as gravy!
    Last year I made stock cubes out of our ham glaze by adding a bit of water, veg etc and then reducing down and freezing in an ice cube tray. We then used it as a base for gravy whenever we had pork and as the stock for a sort of Somerset pork dish.
    But then I got into stock in a big way last year...

5. SleighBelle

You're a Stock Genius :D
    Thank you!