1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with sultanas?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sel_chick, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I have a huge bag of sultanas - can't even remember why I bought them, but they're due to go out of date in a couple of months and there's no way I'll eat them all before then.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can make with them?
    Sultana scones have been tried (and failed - but still tasted good!)

2. Cupboard cake!
    I quite often find out of date dried fruit lurking so I have a regular bake up (twice a year).
    Find any heavy fruit cake recipe you have, the heavier the better. Mine probably has more than 50% fruit in it - but it takes 4 hours to cook plus leaving in the oven overnight!
    Take all out of date fruit, no matter what it is, and make up the weight required and soak in water, orange juice, whatever you have. Overnight is good, warmed will speed up the process. That way it won't matter if it got a bit too dry!
    I also roast any nuts that are out of date and throw them in too! Basicaly the idea is to use anything that has been forgotten - out of date flour gets used too as this one doesn't rise!
    Rose Elliot did an everything less fruit cake - I just use whatever flour I have link I use that if I haven't got 4 hours to bake. It has the added benefit of not needing an egg - before I had chickens I was often eggless (and I live half an hour away from any shop). So this one is very handy! You can ignore any ingredient, e.g. use water instead of OJ.
    All variations freeze really well.

Happy baking!

3. Put them in coleslaw and cous cous.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

sprinkle them on cereal
    eat them straight out of th ejar
    add to a mild, fruity curry or a pilaff or coronation chicken
    make proper French Toast (Pain perdu) with sultanas in the egg mix
    bobobtie
    send them to me - we get through kilos of teh things!

5. Spotted Dick!

6. Soak them in rum and then fold through vanilla icecream [​IMG]

7. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

bread and butter pudding?
    tea bread?
    homemade muesli?
    cereal bars/ fruity flapjacks?
    cover them in chocolate!

8. I like to add them to a curry.
    Or to couscous.
    Or to a spicy pilau rice.
    Or in a mix (with rice or couscous) to stuff peppers or onions.
    Or in spinach with pine nuts (I think that may be a Nigella idea I nabbed).
    My kids eat them as a snack instead of sweets.
    I add them to flapjacks.
    I add them to cornflake/rice crispy cakes.
    Or to Kaiserschmarnn (which is a delicious German pud and really easy!)
    Here is a recipe if you want to try it
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/9006/original-kaiserschmarrn.aspx

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I like them in my porridge. Chuck them in with the oats, milk/water and cook. They go all plump and juicy. [​IMG]

10. Or just bung them in with any cereal. My son adds a handful to whatever he is eating - weetabix, shreddies, etc. (he also tends to raid my fruit bowl and pile on the fruit - bananas, cherries, grapes, strawberries [​IMG])
    He then tells me in a very grown up voice - Mum, some people actually buy their cereal with fruity bits added. What a waste of money! (smartarse has been listening to his Mum, mwahahahahahahhaa).

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just made bread pudding, serve to revitalise the teachers tomorrow, we have a video crew coming down from Head office!!

12. There was a day when Sultanas were kings.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No, Sultans were Kings, Sultanas were and still are their wives/Queens.
    Sultana is also a Maltese surname.

14. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I vote bread and butter pudding, but use croissants and add some chocolate (go on, it's the weekend!)

15. I've been away on holiday, so now I'm home I just wanted to pop back and say thanks for all those ideas! Yum!
    Once I've caught up with the washing (why do you generate 3x as much when away?!), those little sultanas aren't going to know what hit them!
    Thanks again!