1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with parents who think holidays abroad are some sort of human right?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by dunnocks, May 25, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

We are denying their children the right to completely relax abroad. When it it become necessary to go abroad, ( during term time) to completely relax? Why is this an entitlement? Why is it unfair that people who can't pay the full price don't get to go. If you can't afford the price, you don't go, do you, thats just that. We can't afford holidays abroad, but we don't really feel that it is our human right, either.

I don't mind being asked, I don't mind reiterating the school policy, to be honest, it matters very little to me if they go anyway. Charlie will be behind and do worse in his end of year exams, that goes without saying, but I'm not going to give up any of my time to help him catch up, that is his problem ( and his Mum's. if she takes her responsibilities seriously)

But why I am being subjected to this deeply wounded, hard done by attitude, as if I am trying to deliberately withhold Charlies natural entitlements in life?

bevdex, Sally006, Marisha and 4 others like this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Do you think parents in other countries feel that their children NEED to come to the UK in term time for their human rights? We are all other people's "abroad"

pepper5 likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I've always supported the idea that parents should be deducted Child Benefit if they take a child out of school on holiday in term time...say I week's deduction per day per child. That might make them think twice.

NB If a teacher gets any moans from pupils/parents, tell them: 'it's the law..contact your MP if you don't like it'! :D

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've never understood why so many people get so hot under the collar about this. Before I went into teaching we sometimes took blazer major out of school for a holiday because frequently Mrs B's LEA's holidays didn't match the LEA we lived in. Likewise when I became a teacher this would also happen and we had to take blazers major and minor out of school. Some people have jobs where they can't necessarily have holidays that match with school breaks. If a kid is missing from my class for a week or so then so what. Yes they may fall behind. I found that the kids usually fell into one of two categories. Either they were really keen and would catch up or they were as thick as mince anyway and so the amount of learning they would have done in the fortnight was so small anyway as to be insignificant. I always refused to set work for kids going on holiday as I knew it would not be done anyway.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

When you look at the difference in price then I’m not surprised people do it. I think the holiday companies are more to blame for the situation. We have 13 weeks to choose from so I’m certainly not going to worry about your it.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The original rules on taking kids out during termtime were meant to allow for parents who couldn't choose when to take their holiday - that was exactly where a head might use their discretion to authorise a termtime holiday.

I remember talking to a child who had not been away during the summer holidays, but was going to Great Yarmouth in September because someone had offered them use of a caravan then. I'd hate to think that a family like that who can only afford an out-of-season cheap UK holiday would be fined. But if the holiday is abroad, the fine is probably less than what they're saving by going in termtime.

When one of the reception children with a main role in the Christmas play went to CenterParks the week before the performance, I did think that perhaps he should have been replaced.

The worst case I heard was the mum who had booked a holiday which clashed with her daughter's GCSE exams. She said it was a real pity, because now her daughter wouldn't get onto the college course she wanted.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One of the benefits of working in an independent is that we can take our holidays just outside of normal 'school holidays' meaning it is massive cheaper and we can afford more than we would otherwise.

I have no issue with those who take a week or so here and there. Family life should be more important than anything else and 'abroad' is often cheaper than staying at home, if you go outside of high season.

A week or fortnight off once a year or so isn't going to make a material difference to attainment. A friend of ours missed an entire term of what is now year nine to go 'abroad' with her parents. Nothing educational about the trip and she did no work set by school. She now earns a seven figure salary in her very high powered job with a major bank.

8. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

A few years ago there was a family in school who went to Florida two of three times a year, for about three weeks at a time, including the first three weeks their son should have been in reception. When the boy reached year 5, his parents complained that he was in the bottom group for everything and demanded to know why - even though they had been told many, many times of the consequences of their holiday choices!

There are times when holidays in term time can be justified - a friend was a firefighter and had little choice about when to take holidays. Another parent worked on Summer Holiday activities and so obviously couldn't go away then.

The antics of families going away on holiday on the quiet and then telling their suntanned offspring to say they'd been sick always amused me!

9. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Back in the day, we couldn't afford a fortnight's holiday. Partly for financial reasons but also because of work commitments. Little saluki was regularly taken out of school for long weekend breaks. It didn't affect their educational attainment or job prospects. We managed Ireland, France and other countries plus long weekends in England, Scotland and Wales. We nearly always did something 'educational' and little saluki was more rounded than many of their peers. E.g. Thorpe Park was combined with Hampton Court Palace.
    I know someone who has whipped their kids to do 6 hours revision a day throughout Easter and half term. As soon as exams are finished the kids are being pulled out of school for a good long holiday. I fully applaud their actions.

10. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

The question that should be asked is why on Earth do so many teachers think it should anything to do with us? Family wants to go on holiday, family goes on holiday. The same people who criticise families going on holiday probably defend the rights of gypsies to come and go as they please.

11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

People don’t need to go abroad. There is plenty in the UK to do if time away is necessary. And often you don’t even need to go away - there are plenty of days out people can do in their local area.

englishdragon, Gsr25 and pepper5 like this.
  12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Indeed. Keep those awful poor people away from holiday resorts. Relaxing, having fun in the sun, experiencing foreign culture, that should be the preserve of the rich.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

its a luxury. Luxuries are the preserve of the rich. it isn't a human right, or an entitlement.

peter12171, BelleDuJour and pepper5 like this.
  14. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't think it is anything to do with me. Family asks, family is told the school policy, family makes their own decision and I don't care either way.

My complaint is the way I am getting harped at about denying children the "opportunity" and getting told they need to "relax totally" and the whole resentment thing, like I am withholding their rights.

No I'm not.

Holidays are an expensive luxury. Beach holidays in some Mediterranean resort are neither educational nor beneficial to the environment not essential to a child's well being. No one is "entitled" to this.

15. sparkleghirl

Why is it a luxury? Can anything 'enjoyable' and 'fun' be considered a luxury and the preserve of the rich? Or just things which are priced out of the reach of poor people?
    Time off, and time spent as a family, is very positive for well-being and for family relationships.

Is a washing machine a luxury? A colour tv? A microwave oven? A mobile phone? Access to legal services? Access to health services?

Maybe the question should be why do we continue to put up with a system which keeps some poor so that others can be stupidly rich?

16. sparkleghirl

Exactly., So those who can affort to put their children in independent schools also get to take holidays when prices are lower. That's how it works,

If you're poor you pay more in lots of ways - eg prepay electricity meters, you can't make savings buy buying in bulk, you can't often make savings by taking advantage of special deals because the deals will usually be on something that you can't afford to buy that week anyway.
    The rich get richer, the poor get poorer. The system is designed that way

17. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

Because life is not all about work. It’s about enjoyment. We’re all tourists on earth, some get longer than others....why not. With the way schools are at the moment children need more holidays abroad. Fully support parents here and would do the same if I wasn’t a teacher.

18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Because two weeks on a foreign beach is very expensive and totally unnecessary, that is what makes it a luxury

sure, but there is absolutely no need for this to be in a luxury beach resort.

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

not being able to afford two weeks on a foreign beach resort is NOT poor. its normal

20. rideemcowboy

rideemcowboy Occasional commenter

This is not a straight forward issue. There are a number of variables worth considering. The age of the children, the educational merits of where they are travelling to, the need to spend quality time with one or both of the parents, is it a one-off or a yearly expectation. The expectation that the teacher set work or makeup after can be a frustration. If this is simply the parent trying to find out what will be missed, this should be seen as a parent being responsible. Many a time I have gone to considerable lengths to provide work only for the parent on return to say we were too busy to get any done. It would seem that there is a direct correlation between the more insistent the parent that the teacher set detailed work to their ability to return with zero completed.