1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with my sabbatical year!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by beth18taylor, Mar 10, 2017.

1. beth18taylor

beth18taylor New commenter

Hi all,

I'm after some tips and advice please!

I currently work at a school I love and do not want to leave! However, my boyfriend is a doctor (GP) and has wanted to have a year off work for some time to either work abroad or do some travelling!

I've spoken to my school about this and I'm really lucky as they have offered me a sabbatical, starting sept 2017 should I want it!

I've been looking at jobs abroad. However, my partner can only really work as a GP easily at places such as NZ or Australia due to the language/no need for exams etc. The terms there are January-January so it also causes problems for me and I appreciate most places offer at least a two year contract. Some schools do seem to offer sept starts though so I'm looking at those!

Mike is keen to locum for a bit, then go travelling and then come back work, travel etc, which is really appealing to us both. However, I worry that I don't have the same earning power as he does to be able to afford this. I was thinking of doing supply work but I've been reading threads and it seems complicated/not a lot of work these days since the introduction of cover supervisors etc within schools.

So basically...
    1. Has anyone worked in Auz/NZ and could offer me advice/tips/their experiences of getting work there and how it was?

2. Would supply keep me busy enough? Or should I look to do something different e.g simple temp work etc? How do I even go about becoming a supply teacher! All the recruitment ages seem scary!
    Can anyone think of an alternative but linked to teaching?

3. Does anyone know of any other ideas for a doctor and teacher to do for a year?! Someone has mentioned operation Wallacea which seems exciting but it's only from June-august and it's too late for this year.

Any help and advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Sharpencil

Sharpencil New commenter

I can't offer any words of wisdom for Q1 & Q2, but as for Q3 have you considered Raleigh International expeditions?
    Their expeditions run three times a year, they needs doctors and other volunteers aged 25-65 to lead projects. I've been a volunteer manager on one of their expeditions, it was a fantastic experience and I highly recommend them!