1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with fennel?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Waterfin, Aug 20, 2011.

1. That's it really - just bought 2 heads (if that is the right term for it) of fennel at Morrisons because it was reduced and I have never tried it before.
    I could go to my trusty Delia basics cookery book, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.

2. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

Carrot and fennel soup.
    It's also very nice steamed and served with fish - just pop the fennel in the base of an oven tray with a little liquid, a bit of lemon juice, pop the fish on top, cover with foil and bake.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Simon Hopkinson did a beautiful looking recipe with fennel on The Good Cook last week. You should be able to Google it. It was a parmesan and vermouth sauce over slow cooked fennel.
    I usually brown it and then finish it off in the oven with a piece of fish on top for the last 10-20 mins.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love fennel.
    It goes really well with pork and fish.
    I love slowroasting it alongside shoulder of pork or I sometimes put it into a gratin. It also goes great in coleslaw.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I do too. My wife dislikes it though, so we rarely buy it. I agree, it's very nice with a slow roast pork shoulder.

6. I finally got around to using it. Tried it raw. My daughter and I found the aniseed flavour really amusing in something savoury. She kept going to her sister and trying to get her to try it "because it tastes like those blue and pink sweets in liquorice allsorts."
    I made a large tray of mixed roast veg and included the fennel in it. It was nice.
    I don't think I'd go out of my way to find it, but would use it again.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Yes. Roasting it alongside other summer vegetables is very good.

8. Delia Christmas book,veggie section: red pepper stuffed with fennel. Absolutely delish, it is now a staple of our cooking, so much so I grow the stuff!

9. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Goes really well in the Jamie Oliver chicken and preserved lemon tagine recipe.

10. Chop the fennel into quarters.

Heat up your pan until it's really hot (you'll get a 'haze' coming off it). Put in some olive oil and a bit of sea salt into the oil.

Fry the fennel on both sides until it is slightly 'charred'. Put to the side.

Put in a seasoned (salt on flesh side, salt and black pepper on skin side) and olive oiled sea bass fillet (or 2 or 3 depending on the size of your pan) skin side down into the same pan on the same high heat for 2 mins. At the end of 2 mins turn the sea bass over and take it off the heat (the flesh side will continue to cook). Arrange fennel on the plate (along with anything else you fancy) and pop the sea bass on top. Delicious!

11. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I really like it raw in a salad - it gives a fresh taste :)

12. Well, I said I wouldn't be actively searching it out, but the OH has brought another head of the stuff home from Morrisons, so we'll be having it on the menu again in the next day or two.