1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with apples and tomatoes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by inky, Sep 12, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Wrap each cooking apple in newspaper and put them somewhere cool. That way, any rot won't spread from one apple to another and you should be able to store them for quite a while.
    Here's a nice recipe for cooking apples:

4 cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    Sugar to taste
    2 eggs, separated in to whites and yolks

Cook the apples in a little water and suger to taste until pureed.
    Place in an ovenproof dish.
    Mix the 2 egg yolks into the apples.
    Cook in a slow oven for 20-30 minutes until mixture is a bit set.
    Whip up the egg whites until they make firm peaks. Fold in a tablespoonfull of white sugar.
    Place on top of the apple mixture.
    Bake at 180-200 C or gas mark 7 for a few inutes until meringue peaks are dark brown.

Failing that, crumble, charlotte, plain stewed apple compote, all the former with a few blackberries mixed in..

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I've frozen some uncooked apples in wedges which I'll use a lot of through the winter.
    As for the tomatoes, you could make some sort of ketchup or chutney with them. Or you could roast them with garlic and fresh herbs and blitz to make a soup and freeze?

3. Want me to send you my legendary Norwegian Apple Cake recipe?

4. Yes please Gorgy.

Thanks to all for the suggestions will probably use quite a few of them just need to clear freezer a bit.