1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with a slab of pork?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Popped to supermarket for few bits today and because of various reductions/short date I ended up getting a 4 kilo piece of pork loin as it was ridiculously cheap. Now, there are only 1-2 of us so I'm looking for some good recipes that I can make with the pork and then freeze etc.
    So far I thought that I would roast it - 1 meal
    save some cold the next day for sandwiches - 2 meals
    but then...? I just know I'll end up doing some sort of tomatoey sauce for it and serving it with cous cous which is ok but a bit boring.
    So, anyone got some good ideas what I could do with it? We eat pretty much anything (other than curry or very spicy chilli) and always like to try new things other and I have most things available in the kitchen.
    All ideas welcome!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Why not cut it into several pieces and freeze ready to use some other time.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

This may sound obvious, but.... could you cut it in 2, freeze 1/2 to do with as you suggested and then do the same again in 2 months time with the remainder?
    Or... we do a "Greek-style" dish called Tavas (I think it is Cypriot actually) where you put languish chunks of meat in a roasting time with a few sliced onions, some garlic, cinnamon and tinned toms/passata before roughly mixed and cooking for a couple of hours - would that be different?
    Or... I use loin steaks with green Thai paste, coconut cream and green beans to make a midweek supper served with rice.noodle
    Or.... use some along with some sausages and a bit of belly pork to make a Cassoulet
    Or.... in Italy, roast pork cooked with garlic and rosemary also goes into a fab salad sliced thinly with a balsamic-based vinaigrette (again, I can look out a precise recipe if you want one).
    Or ... cut slices, bash out thinly with mallet/rolling pin; flash fry and add sliced mushrooms and cream to make a sauce (+lots of black pepper) - serve with mash (one of my mother's stand-by meals!)
    Or .... as above but think veal escalope and make a sauce of white wine or lemon juice or Marsala
    Let me know if these ideas do not appeal: I have half a dozen more!

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Slather it in hoi sin sauce and roast it. Then eat some as it is, have some in sandwiches, make some into fried rice, have some with a noodly, chinese veggie broth...

5. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Some fab ideas henriette thanks! I like the idea of bashing it out and making a marsala based sauce and having some in a salad!
    And do you know, I didn't even think of cutting it in half and only using a half at a time [​IMG]

6. If you have any left, this is one of my fave things to do with pork (I used diced pork - usually some from a large joint, but it works really well with belly pork too)
    <u>CQ's "Somerset" Pork</u>

2 pounds diced pork

250g dried haricot beans, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained, (or
    equivalent in tins but then stick in at the end, you will need 2 tins)

2 carrots

1 leek

1/2 pint apple juice (or add more to taste)

1 pint chicken or veg stock

2 great big splodges of honey

one onion, with a bay leaf spiked on with 4 cloves

some mixed herbs
    tomato puree
    worcestershire sauce

Brown off the meat in batches.

Return to pan and add stock, apple juice, honey, a bit of salt and
    pepper and the soaked beans (if using tinned beans, add at the end) and
    the spiked onion.

Bring to boil then simmer for at least one hour.

Add the veg. Cook for another 20-30 mins or so. At the end, add some
    mixed herbs (about 5 or 10 mins before end of cooking time). Add about a tbsp. tom puree and a dash of worcestershire sauce.

Adjust apple juice and honey to taste.

Serve with tatties, pasta or rice and some crusty bread.

7. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

That sounds delicious cq!! I still have lots of pork in the freezer so shall def be trying it, thanks.

8. Feel free to make it with cider - I tend to use apple juice because of the kids ;-)

9. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Haha not that I am an alcoholic but I had made a mental note I would probably do that :p