1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with a Reception Class in the first week?!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by joannat24, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Hi I'm a NQT and will have a Reception Class this September. I presume that the first week or so will be mostly getting the children used to school etc. rather than straight into focussed teaching? Does anyone know any good icebreaker/getting to know you/name games that I could use? Any help would be great!!

2. In the first week I will be.
    Making sure the children all know where the toilet is and can use it
    Practising stopping, looking and listening to me
    Explaining repeatedly what I mean when I say line up
    Practising lining up, a lot

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

I have a class teddy bear who has already sent them an invite to attend the school (given at the home visit). At carpet time, we sit in a circle and pass the teddy around, telling him our names and what activity we like best at school.
    My first week activities will be much the same as what they had in their nurseries. Mainly continuous provision and CI activities so we can join in their play and observe them.
    Our Y6s come and take the children on a tour of the schoolas well.

4. Like the idea of a tour of the school by older children, might have to instigate that this year!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We go straight into focused teaching but have the advantage of being a FSU.

6. I'm interested in hearing what you do Msz? I'm starting teaching in a FSU and all of my children have already been in the nursery. Will you be doing phonics on day 1 for example?

Thanks

7. Same as msz, I start from the first day as I mean to go on. Personally I can't see how children 'settle in' unless you are structuring the day as you usually would. Many of my colleagues argued about this approach as they said the first week should be "more fun"..........my reply: "reception is always fun thank you!"

8. Msz

Yes we would start phonics and number work on day 1

9. When starting phonics on day one, what do you do? Do you start from the beginning of L&S phase 2 ('s')? Or do you do a game from phase one? Would be helpful to hear what you do as I am new to Reception.

10. Msz

We don't use L&S but would have started on day 1 with the first sound (Jolly Phonics) however we are changing to Sounds-Write this year and the new reception teacher hasn't had the training yet so she won't be starting right away.

11. Thank you Msz. I don't really like Letters and Sounds but that's what they use at my current school. Never heard of Sounds-Write but just looked at the website and it sounds good.

12. Msz

I'm really impressed with Sounds-Write and it had an immediate impact on the group we trialled it with at the end of the year which is why we are changing and hosting the first training in my area.

13. Can you tell me more about sounds write? Googled it unsuccessfully !

14. Thanks everyone for your help! I'm going in to school today to set up my classroom & plan so I feel much more prepared to do that now :) I like the idea of starting phonic and number work from the beginning. We use letters & sounds which I think works quite well. I would be interested to hear about sounds write too though?