1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do with a book?!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by buddha01, Oct 15, 2009.

1. I've started this post so that if you have a book you have used in class you can explain the activities that you did with it.

We have been using the book Stick Man by Julia Donaldson and it is fab!

Here is what we did;
    1. Introduced the story and read up until Stick Man gets swept out to sea.
    Then we received a letter from Stick Lady Love explaining that Stick Man was missing and she needed our help.
    2. We wrote missing posters for Stick Man (when I say 'wrote' we introduced initial sounds and children wrote their own name of who to contact and cut out a picture of who he was last seen by).
    3. We went on a hunt for stick man in the playground but didn't find him!
    Then we created a post office role play so they could write letters independently back to Stick Lady Love.
    Outside we created a missing stick centre with clipboards, camoflauge and lots of sticks to encourage c'ren to make marks and talk with each other.
    We used tuff cams to 'catch stick man speeding!'
    Next...
    4. We had a phone call on mobile in class from stick lady love which they listened to on loud speaker and heard her say she was disappointed we hadnt replied to her letter.
    5. So we wrote a letter to stick man (writing down the sounds we could hear in words)
    We then introduced our own family (as he lives in a family tree with stick lady love!).C'ren bought in a photo from home and they 'wrote' a simple caption (some wrote their name)
    6. We read the rest of the book (stick man returns home!)
    7. We went on a hunt and found stick man (in a basketball hoop!)
    8. We decided to celebrate and plan a party....we wrote invitations to our friends in class.
    Outside they have been creating banners saying surprise, party, welcome home etc.
    Next day c'ren came in and saw posters everywhere saying 'we have found stick man' and a picture of him.
    9. C'ren have been posting their invitations in our letter box. L/a had a completed invitation and they highlighted initial sound pink if they sounded it correctly and green if they arent quite there (tickled pink and green for growth)
    We are making party hats in class.
    Next week we will be sequencing the story, making a cake, jellies, bunting and having a party!
    Hope this gives people some ideas...I'm sure people have loads of their own

2. KMD

KMD

Don't have anything to add - I've never done anything that good but just wanted to say can I come and play in your class?!

3. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

Absolutely brilliant.

4. Love these ideas, Might use them at some point if you don't mind! :) :)

5. Please do use them! It was just a fantastic book to get ideas from!
    I have only been in Reception for 5 weeks but I'm loving it! Hope you can get as much fun out of it as we have...the children have loved looking for stick man!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm with inky sometimes the story gets lost in all the "hanging" activities off it.
    Really not a fan of the Belair books myself

7. Ilove Belair books, not least of all because I'm rubish at doing displays!

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

True. What you say reiterates my belief that you can plan anything from anything, really, as long as you have a bit of wit and imagination and know your children. It's almost like a party trick: give me any subject and I'll brainstorm you a topic web. Baddammmmm!!!! We old timers know that very well. How well it fits into the 'planning from children's interests' is another matter, though I reckon you can hang most interests on hooks of one sort or another, so it never worries me overmuch.
    What does worry me ]and not just at the EY stage] is the way in which story itself is being misappropriated. We 'don't have time' to tell stories nd then expect to make up for their impoverished language, lack of story-sense, etc, with lots of elaborate story frames, exttacts from anthologies, blah blah.
    Whatever happened to storytelling as an ESSENTIAL part of the curriculum? How has it been sidelined in this terrible way?
    Sorry to rant. I feel very strongly about it!

9. haj

haj

I am not used to the topic planning so I think that book will be useful as a starting point. Foundation Stage is so different from other Primary age groups I want to make sure that I am planning and teaching appropriately for this age range.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Dead right - as long as story doesn't get lost. However much you plan from stories, don't forget to tell lots of other stories too. It's that simple, but too often forgotten. The - worse, maybe, it gets forgotten later on, so that stories [or, more commonly, extracts from them] become mere toolsfor the teaching of literacy.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Then, not the
    Sorry. I have too high an opinion of my typing ability, so tend to go too fast.

12. haj

haj

thanks for the advice inky, I appreciate it :)

13. Have OFSTED on Monday and your post has just given me some much needed stick man inspiration. Thanks

14. Hope your inspection went well and you enjoyed the Stick Man ideas!

15. We always read at least one book a day, it is enjoyed by all the children, sometimes they are topic related, but I just read them do not develop them. For a traditional tales topic I read and told the stories, we acted them and used puppets and lots more, but still had other daily stories as well. I enjoyed telling the stories so much I was wondering if I could have a new career as a storyteller!
    I personally would not stick to developing one book/story for more than a week in FS , the actual books chosen can be related to childrens interests.