1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do when you have trained for the wrong career

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by lilac25, Aug 10, 2014.

1. lilac25

lilac25 New commenter

Hi

Not sure this is the right place to post this, wasn't sure where else to post it.

Basically I was a nursery nurse for 7 years, ta for a year then did an early years pgce. Whilst there were parts of the pgce I enjoyed, I mostly disliked it. I couldn't get to grips with how to teach, and didn't like the way teaching took over my whole life. After the course I went back to being a ta, which I am still doing, but now I feel stuck in a rut.

I am not really managing financially on the ta wage, so need to reconsider my options. I have looked at returning to nurseries, but do feel it's a bit 'been there, done that'. I wanted to teach because I wanted to help children, especially those who find learning difficult. I am certain I want to work with children in some way, but am totally stuck for ideas as to what to do. What do you turn to when the job you have trained for does not work out in the way you thought it would. Perhaps I am being too fussy, after all a job is a job.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can offer ideas? Has anyone found teaching is not for them, and whilst they don't want to teach, still have the desire to help children in some way.

Apologies if this is a bit rambling, but I am driving myself (and others around me) crazy! Any help is appreciated

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

3. Unfortunately, caring roles, outside of graduate professional ones, are generally badly paid. If you can't manage on a TA wage, then most of them are going to be closed to you. I don't know which part of teaching you didn't like, but have you considered teaching in a Special School (if they haven't all been closed down)? Children's homes?

HLTA? You often get some of the teaching but without most of the responsibility. Slightly more dosh.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Perhaps you chose the wrong age group with which to work ?

5. lilac25

lilac25 New commenter

Thank you for your replies.

Ruthie66 I am having a good look at the site, thank you for the link.

minnie me, I didn't like the constant focus on data, targets etc, and it seemed (at least in the schools where I have been, I appreciate all schools are not the same) that the children were just treated as levels, not individuals, and coming from a nursery background I just couldn't get used to that.

Lilyofthefield-would special schools be different? Not something I have a lot of experience of.

Thank you for your replies