1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do when you dislike a student???

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by msmillreef, Jan 8, 2020.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I am/was (retired last year) an effective teacher. I had solid behaviour management skills and strategies. I could identify a lost cause. I worked in tough inner city schools. I managed them and also the other 26+ that wanted to learn. I had very good relationships with the vast majority of pupils (I believe anybody who says or considers they have excellent relationships with everybody is either deluding themselves or is lying).
    I found it became tiresome and wearing after 21 years of it, which is why I chose to follow another path. For the following 17 years I had a very different experience.
    You speak for yourself and I'll speak for myself. Neither of us is right or, in fact, wrong. Neither of us is a better person than the other.
    We'll have to agree to differ on our viewpoints

2. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@stopwatch "I am/was retired last year.."

Mate... Log off TES and enjoy retirement.

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I 'retired' fourteen years ago and, amidst a varied, enjoyable and active life, still find time to log on to TES at least once a day. I appreciate that my educational experience is no longer current but some things don't change (such as the smog in Santiago de Chile) so I post either when I feel I have something to contribute or when it amuses me to do so. Clearly, Stopwatch still has a lot to offer to the forum and I'm sure he will not be patronised into silence.

stopwatch likes this.
  4. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

This is a discourteous and distinctly unhelpful comment. I expect to retire one day and will continue to contribute to discussions when I feel I have something useful to say.

stopwatch likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I can multi task and do both TES and retirement - now isn't that impressive for an old person!!

Mainwaring likes this.
  6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Stoppers, I was retired and one of these days I will most probably retire again. We OAPs must put these cheeky young whippersnappers firmly in their places!

As for having something useful to say, miketribe, I do not think I have ever done that and I am too old to start now.

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Meaning?

I am rather disturbed by the negativity of some of the comments on here.

The snide implication that disliking or hating a person is unprofessional. Your emotional detachment or lack of emotions is your "cross to bear".

Every psychopath, murder and rapist was once of school age. Many, start on their path long before they leave school. You might not hate people but I have hated the odd evil individual. I recall a colleague screaming at me for trying to warn her about one of her sixth form age tutor group. She too believed that you shouldn't hate anyone. He punched her unconscious a few weeks later.

15, 16 year old etc may legally be children but some of them are already mental cases. I do not need to study medicine nor be a psychiatrist to have seen the evidence with my own eyes. For a while I worked in a school where the local newspapers court-report section was a who's who of previous students and many younger siblings were of the same mould as their elders.

Is a teacher a terrible person for having emotions? No, certainly not.

What matters, as has already been said, is to act professionally. Having said that he's targeting you by attacking the display in your room. Target him with the school rules. Catch him out. Report your concerns. Track his every move that you see record it in professional journal. Use every rule, never give him an inch. Refuse to write any reference for him. Only provide what school reports your contract requires you to. Mark his work the same as any other student in the class. At the end of it you have all you have done is follow the school rules and procedures to the letter.

This is a mistake. Look him right in the eyes the same as any other student. Some of these unpleasant types betray their psychopathy via their emotionless unblinking stare. Students pick up on these things.

Trying imagining something else.

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter