1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do when students "give up"

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by missstich, Oct 15, 2011.

1. I've just started my GTP in D&T Textiles. I have taken over a two year 8 classes and a problem I keep having is when students (Boys more often than not) start struggling and "Give up". I try and talk through the problems they are having but worry I am spending so much time trying to coax them through the task I am neglecting the other students.

Can anyone help with suggestions for how to remotivate these students?

Thanks

2. Is what you are trying to do with them interesting for them as well as the girls? This is often a problem where projects have a bias for one sex or another. If they are able to put their own personal stamp on the project, they may be more interested and inclined to keep going.
    Differentiation may be they key with these students if they really are stuggling with the project, rather than just uninterested. All i can really suggest is that you have a chat with the class teacher or your subject mentor and see what they would suggest or how they might go about solving the problem. Try not to worry too much as after all you're still new to this.
    Good luck

3. We;re making cushions with applique decoration. The lads are as enthusiastic as the girls when designing and starting the making it's when they make mistakes (which I have explained that we all do occasionally) that they get upset. I think they are expecting to make a professional quality product witch is obviously far above a year 8 level, they won't accept that their work is fine for the level they are working at.

4. That's tricky.
    Do you have an example that you have made yourself? If so, is yours of professional quality that they are trying to emulate?, with all due credit to them of course :eek:)
    You could try using an example of the work produced by a previous class to show what sort of quality you are expecting, but to also show them that it is ok to make mistakes and they can still get a great outcome.
    I would give lots of verbal praise, merits etc and make examples of the parts of the project that students have done particularly well (if appropriate) to show that you are genuinely pleased with their work and want to share it with the rest of the class. This should hopefully get them to realise that their work is good and that they have every right to be pleased rather than disappointed with their efforts.
    I hope that these ideas are helpful :eek:)

5. re

re New commenter

Are they allowed to 'give up' in other subjects? Sounds to me that you need to set clear targets for a lesson and keep them in if they don't reach them. You are in charge of your classroom and what goes on in it. Giving up is not an option and they need to know that.

6. janharper

janharper Occasional commenter

If I had a spare free period I would sometimes go through the work and unpick the offending mistake and re-pin it for them ready for the next practical. They were usually very grateful and became enthusiastic once again.
    I would also say to the odd child to leave their work with their name pinned to it on my desk at the end of the lesson and I would see If I could help before next lesson, especially if they came to Club to catch up.