1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do when someone refuses to attend sex ed

Discussion in 'Primary' started by poolbabe, Mar 20, 2012.

1. poolbabe

poolbabe New commenter

Hi
    Can anyone help please.
    A parent has refused to let their child attend sex ed lessons. We've always taught it in Y5. I wonder what the legal standing is when officially there is no NC, and therefore I guess no official requirement?? Any advice or where to look for advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. poolbabe

poolbabe New commenter

Hi
    Can anyone help please.
    A parent has refused to let their child attend sex ed lessons. We've always taught it in Y5. I wonder what the legal standing is when officially there is no NC, and therefore I guess no official requirement?? Any advice or where to look for advice would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

3. I've had children whose parents opted for them to not have sex ed lessons (or RE or ICT - though they got pretty good at telling the children who did do ICT how to do it, even though they weren't allowed to use the computers themselves - that was weird! Later on they did do ICT though.) They just had alternate activities while it was going on - they were very mature children, who coped absolutely fine. They did get some teaching about reproduction etc (eg plants, life cycles of animals at some level) in the science curriculum, but not the specifically sex ed bits.
    Don't know about the legal side though.

4. We had this same situation. It turned out that the father was abusing his daughter. He had refused to allow her to do sex education. To keep her ignorant of what was happening perhaps? In our school if a parent refused consent now, in the light of past events, we would have to investigate the reasons. Beyond that, I have no idea how the head would proceed and what the legal standing is.
    I am not suggesting this is the case in your school. Not at all. I'm just informing you of my experience. I still feel crushing guilt over this experience - that I did not spot this one clue and save that child from misery.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Parents are legally entitled allowed to remove their child from sex education.
    I've known parents to remove for a number of reasons, mainly religious grounds or where there have been social and emotional reasons that have meant the child might not be able to deal with or understand what's being taught at the time we teach it (Y5).
    Regardless, any parent is allowed to remove their child from SRE lessons.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Parents have the right to remove their children from sex ed lessons (and RE) if they so wish. You just need to find the child something else to do in another class.