1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do when can make a school visit before applying?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supplyteacher007, Oct 31, 2018.

1. supplyteacher007

supplyteacher007 New commenter

I recently completed my training in Kent and moved home to Newcastle to do supply for a year to gain some experience after quite a few failed interviews! I would really like to move back to Kent as I am unhappy being back at home but am worried I wouldn’t even get shortlisted for interview due to not being able to visit because I live so far away! Does any one have any tips for what I should do in this situation? Thank you

patternandsurface likes this.
  2. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

I have been picked for interviews dispite not visiting, often because by the time I see the advert there is no time for a visit or work commitments can't be rearranged.

Still go for it. You can always ring them up, say hello and ask some relevant questions before you submit the application, this can be a good option to get your voice heard or a foot in the door for the interview process.

Good luck with your future interviews.

Alexbartlett likes this.
  3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Apply anyway.
    Explain why you are in Newcastle and just say in your letter that you are too far away to visit and offer your apologies.

For a classroom teacher role, not visiting should not be a problem.

Good luck.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Northern_Miss

Northern_Miss New commenter

Have you considered doing supply in Kent? There would be a lot less of it, but it would get your foot in the door at several schools down there... I would be surprised if, while living and working in Newcastle, Kent schools gave your applications the time of day. This may sound harsh, but is based on my own experiences of trying to do it the other way around (living down south and wanting to move north!)...

5. maggie_piano

maggie_piano New commenter

I rarely visit, waste of time and money, sometimes ring and have a conversation. Moving to kent- they do not want to pay removal expenses if you get a role. Move first and then apply.