1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what to do this summer

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by luxlady, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Just looking for some advice on how to find a good tutor a small group of 5 five years old based in Luxembourg for 4 weeks this summer. Do teachers like to take summer jobs teaching and if so how do we find them?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Why on earth would five-year-olds need four weeks of their precious and beautiful summer holdiays taken up with tutoring? Tutoring what? What are their parents doing in the meantime?

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

If I were energetic and single, I'd love to take on these children - on a nature adventure holiday.
    Perhaps that's what you're looking for, so I shouldn't criticise without more knowledge.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

holidays

5. I think some people are too quick too judge. I for one would love the opportunity to spend my summer tutoring. I am an early years teacher currently teaching in Reception so therefore of course my 'tutoring' my not be what you have in mind :)

6. Today, we took the children swimming, went out for lunch, played outside, cooked together and played with our kids. Like we do every weekend. For Easter we are taking the children on holiday with their grandparents, at the beginning and end of summer we are going to the beach, in the middle of the summer we have another holiday with the grandparents. We hope to have a fun summer school.
    Being overseas has its challenges. We have children that go to local schools and speak Luxembourgish, they will learn in German and French. They will not learn English at school but that is their maternal language. We have to face that challenge to teach our children English, to speak, to read and to write.
    We also don't have the benefit of grandparent or others to leave our children with whilst we work. Many people that work here, have to leave their children is special clubs set-up for the holidays.
    l hope that my children will enjoy their holidays.
    So many children are not so lucky.