1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do? retire or carry on?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by rhiannonbrown, Nov 7, 2017.

1. rhiannonbrown

rhiannonbrown New commenter

61yr old still working full time. Wondering whether I should retire? I thought that the longer I worked, the more pension and lump sum I would get. Having divorced and bought my own house (starting again) at 50yrs old I still have a mortgage to pay. I probably will not be able to pay my mortgage on my pension alone and am wondering what I can do. Should I retire and ask if I can go part time (don't know if I can though) or do I go on supply? How will either affect my pension? Thanks in advance to anyone who may give me some pointers.

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Senior commenter

Hi, there is a Retirement thread where people discuss such things, so you might get more information there.

Some people go part-time, some people hope for supply but that seems quite unreliable, and some people take on a portfolio of work - tutoring, exam invigilation etc etc.

A lot will depend on your financial situation, I found producing several spreadsheets with various scenarios helped me.

galerider123 likes this.
  3. rhiannonbrown

rhiannonbrown New commenter

thank you