1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do next??? I need advice :(

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sjakeman, Oct 9, 2015.

1. sjakeman

sjakeman New commenter

I started on the Graduate teaching Programme in 2006, taught Music in Secondary for two full years, didnt finish the final term of GTP as I was assaulted by a student and was off work. I have a BA (Open) subject studied Music, I gained a PGCE - In Service, QTLS. I have been a lecturer and course co-ordinator in FE 16+ for the last 5 years, Access to HE, lecture in Human Anatomy & Physiology. The problem is there is no progression in FE waiting for dead mans shoes, I am bored and uninspired. I have been considering returning to Secondary, so that I can move into management (I am 46), I am a Member Institute of Management and a FHEA, I have management experience in education and industry as I was a Business Analyst in my previous life prior to teaching. I am currently studying for MEd, just have dissertation to do to complete but I am lacking motivation because I feel stuck, I am also doing TEFL Diploma to give me the option of just going abroad, although I feel I have worked so hard to become the professional I am, my OTLA is consistently graded as Outstanding. But what to do?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The BIG question: do you have QTS or QTLS?

3. sjakeman

sjakeman New commenter

I have QTLS

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I now see that you said that earlier! Sorry, I missed that in the dense paragraph.

So at least you are qualified to teach in Secondary. If you are asked on an application form Do you have QTS, you should tick Yes , as QTLS now = QTS. That's one problem over. Good!

But there remain others. . .

What subject do you think that you would teach in Secondary?

5. sjakeman

sjakeman New commenter

I have 2 years experience teaching GCSE and A Level Music, I have 5 years current experience teaching Level 3 (A Level) Human Biology, and have taught GCSE.

Consistently my students gain places at University as this is what the Access to HE course is for, with 98% of students last year gaining their first choice.

Questions I suppose I have is:
    Should I top up my Open degree to Honours
    Should I complete my Masters

I am as far as secondary in a catch 22 as I would like to go back to secondary as a Music or Science teacher, my music school experience is too long ago and to teach Science my degree is not in Science.

Should I just apply and hope for the best?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you have identified very clearly what the problem is:

You are neither one thing nor the other.

PLUS:

PLUS:

Your experience and qualifications are not really what is required by schools.

Music
    You have little experience at all that is relevant to current secondary teaching. Music A-level, and GCSE, are minority subjects and the numbers taking them have been falling for the last 4 years; in 2015 the fall for Music A-level was over 7%. This means that groups will be small and schools will not be able to afford to run them. But you seem to have little or no experience of teaching years 7-9, where generally it is full-class teaching.

Science Biology and Human Biology have 10 times as many students at A-level as Music. However, whereas Chemistry and especially Physics teachers are in short supply, Biology teachers are not generally a shortage area, and schools will be receiving applications from qualified and experienced candidates. Moreover, in many schools, the years 7-9 curriculum can often be timetabled so that all three streams of Science (Bio, Chem & Phy) are taught by the same teacher. You would need a serious Science background at degree level to do this.

Well . . . I suppose that you could say You never know. But your unusual qualifications and teaching background will not usually comply with the stated requirements in the Person Specification.

Do you know what I am thinking? Why not try and branch out within your college. Go and talk to the Business Studies Dept and see if you could get them to buy the idea of you taking on a course within their department.

A change is as good as a rest, they say, and that might be a challenge that could re-vitalise you.

Best wishes

Attached Files: