1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do in york?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grandelf, Apr 8, 2011.

1. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Being creative and running off for a weekend to York, I have never been before, nor has the OH.

Any ideas on what to see, do, eat, visit?

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

A walk by the river, Yorvik, boat trip, Castle museum, Yorkshire museum, fantastic shops, Market, watch the street theatre, the Minster of course, the railway museum ( free) walk the city walls, the shambles . Loads to do. A truly lovely city. It will be rammed though. First good weather and everyone's there! Enjoy!

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

There's a pub by the river with lines on the wall along with dates that show how high the flood waters went, if that's any help. I think from recollection, it was a white pub.
    Mrs modelmaker bought a proper chandelier that holds candles in York. If you're tempted to have one yourself, you can have ours for free, as it's cluttering up our garage.

4. We've just been to York. We didn't really know what we wanted to do, but any good guide book will give you some ideas. Here's what we did:
    Monday:
    Travelled there, stopping off at York Designer Outlet on the way.
    Tuesday:
    Visited the Dungeons (to satisfy the inner child [​IMG] went into town to hit the shops, walked the city walls and visited York Minster.
    Wednesday:
    Visited the Jorvik Centre and the National Railway Museum.
    This website is great for finding out things to do:
    http://www.yorkshire.com/
    As for eating, we were staying near a Weatherspoons, so we ate breakfast there, grabbed a sandwich for lunch, and then on Tuesday night, we ate at an indian restaurant called Mirchiz, which is here:
    http://www.mirchiz.com/
    In the evenings, we found a few nice pubs to have a couple of drinks in (not that we were able to stay up late though!)
    Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy it!

5. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Get your Tesco vouchers out and exchange them for free meals at Bella Italia or Cafe Rouge - yum yum :) Probably others but those are the two we like best.
    Queue up outside for a teatime treat at Betty's Tea Rooms - why is there always a queue across the pavement at that place when it's so expensive?
    York is a lovely place and well worth a visit.

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

wow thanks! shall i send the PO box number over now!?

Seems like we are making the right choice, a nice break with easy, chilling stuff to do.

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I grew up in York and still go there loads as my parents are still there. For tourist stuff - all of the above. I haven't done a lot of touristy things there really since you don't tend to when you live somewhere.
    If it's good weather you could sit in the museum gardens and get an ice-cream. There are some lovely cafés - Café Concerto is near the Minster and does lovely food. Plunkets is also nice, more for the evening. It's on the same street. If you want to go to Betty's but don't fancy queueing there's a little Betty's too.
    York is great for shopping if you enjoy that! (which i do).
    Have a great time!

8. bnm

bnm

It's a place to keep going back to. All the museums are good but I especially like the Yorkshire museum. Can do open-top tour bus or walk the walls.

9. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Queue for Betty's, it's worth it. Try a pot of their Kwazulu tea. There is also a Petisserie Valerie almost opposite on Parliament Square.
    York has good shops, antiques, museums, Betty's, NT house, the Minster, Railway museum, Betty's, Jorvik, and the best china shop in England: Mulberry Hall. Go to Betty's and watch the Japanese tourists photographing their afternoon teas.

10. I love this place, really lovely service too!
    Last time we went to York we hired a boat and went for a little ride up the river! Not really my thing (I'm more of a sit by the river with a drink girl!) but some people love it!
    And the shopping is good, I prefer the shops on the side streets than high street though!

11. impis

impis New commenter

I absolutely agree!
    A fine tea shop serving the best afternoon tea. Kitted out like the inside of an old ocean liner from the 30s, it has old world charm and poshness [if there is such a word]
    There's nearly always people queuing to get in - its so popular!
    We had the £50 celebration afternoon tea which started with a glass of champers, followed by the best tea [coffee in my case] and the most delicious selection of little cakes.
    If you look at their website, you can see their prices [which aren't cheap]
    http://www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_york.aspx

12. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Been a couple of times recently and would agree with all of the above - try and book in advance for places like the Jorvik - we had to queue for an hour and a half last time. You can also buy a Yat pass ( I think it's) called which allows you into certain places fro free. If you have kids then would recommend the dig - my girl's loved it. If you don't have kids then go to the Stone Roses bar - quality.

Looking for someone to stay then I'd recommend the Travelodge on Micklegate - literally minutes away from all the attractions - cheap, clean and cheerful

13. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I recommend that you have fun!!

:eek:)

14. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

I recommend that you have fun!!

:eek:)

15. impis

impis New commenter

Are you a member of Groupon? It might be worth having a look at the Groupon offers for York. You might get a bargain or two.
    Most of the usual tourist places in York cost a fortune to get in - though they all offer a free 2nd visit. [All well and good if you live close enough to take advantage of a second visit].
    The Cathedral charges separately to get in, and to see the crypts. If you do go to the cathedral, make sure to have one of the free guided tours - they give you lots of very interesting information such as that of a carving which was partly completed by an apprentice and has 2 left feet.

16. Bettys YES

Shambles YES

Book shops near the Minster (perhaps that is just me)

Walk the walls YES

I like the railway museum (again perhaps that is just me)

River trip is nice and relaxing

there is a sculpture park next to a bridge ... nice but I do not know better directions

17. We're going Monday GElf!
    Best place for afternoon tea isn't Betty's but Gray's Inn next door to the Treasurer's House - they used to be one building until 15th century and a couple of walls date back to 11th century. It's the only place with garden access from the walls, so a walk on the walls followed by afternoon tea there would be a perfect afternoon, especially with our gorgeous weather.
    And for the evening - the ghost walk.
    Minster - I begrudge paying entrance for a place of worship.
    River trip - definitely.
    Have a great time!!!!!

18. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I lived in York for years and i only went there for the first time last Summer, and it was lovely. I definitely recommend going there.
    I don't think much of Betty's to be honest! Last time I had a coffee there i had to send it back because it was practically cold!

19. We went to a wedding in the treasurers house ... gorgeous

Bettys may not be best but the experience is well worth it

20. Bettys is worth it for the Breakfast Rosti (Delicious!) and proper strained tea.
    We went to a restaurant called 31 Castelgate (I think?) which was fantastic - expensive and a la carte but very tasty. Plunketts near the minster is also lovely and a bit more homely - though when we went we couldnt book and it was very busy so we had to wait upstairs and had to wait absolutely ages, so by the time we ate we were sozzled.
    The ghost walk (theres a few, but only one 'proper' one that is advertised everywhere and starts at the shambles) was OK - I expected better ghost stories and not just made up ones with a few theatrics, but it did have me giggling at times.
    We stayed at the Royal York Hotel - 5 minutes into York city centre and a beautiful building.