1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do in the summer holidays!?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I recommended them a day or two ago.
    I don't get six weeks at a time as I am not teaching (I only get six weeks all year) but I have come to appreciate that it can be daunting for some to have so much time off in one stretch (it appears to be the younger ones! That is not intended as a gripe!)
    What did you do as a student, when you had 3 months off? My time was always filled - of course, most of my friends were free too, that is not necessarily the case when you are working and your friends are not also teachers.

2. Some ideas here.......................................
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/393587.aspx?PageIndex=1#5389224
    and here.............http://www.eacworld.com/work-eac/efl-teachers-recruitment

(Sorry about formatting)

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You can empty my attic, re-lag it, board it over then fill it again if you like.

No? OK then, looks like I'll have to do it.

4. Tee hee! My flat also needs redecorating...if you are very bored, you can come and lodge for free and do it for me [​IMG]

5. I'm also just finishing up my NQT year and understand where you're coming from, it's so strange to think that I don't have to look for a summer job this year. I'm almost saddened too, I was very lucky as a student and never had any really rubbish jobs, they were always things that I genuinely enjoyed doing and part of me almost wants to reapply for my old student job again this summer (although I won't).

Did you not find the Christmas and Easter holidays flew by? It seemed like I had ages stretching ahead of me but then, boom, it was all gone. You'll probably find that six weeks will fly by.

Perhaps you want to have some down time away from children but you could always help out on a 'camp' of some kind. I've done them before and know friends who have done them and I'd really recommend it. Yes it's tiring but it's so rewarding and 9 times out of 10 you'll get to join in the activities so although you're giving up your time you're getting something out of it too. I would never ever ever have done high ropes and zip lines etc. if I hadn't been going first to encourage the kids to do it (although I did chicken out of a parachute jump!)

It's a bit late for this year but for next year there's tons to choose from. These are just ones that I have heard of through when I was a student/what I'm now sorting my pupils out with for their D of E residential.

I don't know why I can't post links (was going to paste in the web addresses) but try googling some of the following: Chicks, Over the Wall, Kick Asthma, Action for Blind People or the BackUp Trust.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I can't offer job advice - not sure if there are any out there! However, I use the holidays to organise my wardrobe, the house and garden, have the car serviced etc. It really is the only chance I get. I then spend time visiting family and others. There is rarely any time left, last week of the holidays i spend some time in school sorting out my classroom and organising resources - it all helps with the long run up to Christmas.

7. pink hippoes..when I was young and enthusiastic and in your position re-no kids...I did a 1 week sabbatical thing at Oxford Uni where I got to study whatever I wanted, could use their libraries, and stayed there dirt cheap. I saw it advertised in the back of the TES..but this was a long, long time ago...and just applied and got it.

8. I usually go into school for a day in the first week off to do any tidying away that I couldn't do while the kids were still in (hopefully not too much this year as we have a toy day/tidying day on the last day, followed by a training day before we break up.
    I also go in for a day in the last week of the hols to set things up for my new class and to get my head around going back to work.
    In between I mix going out on day trips with my kids to various places (some paid, some free, some funded by my Tesco's clubcard vouchers!) and days spent spring cleaning my home and my life in general.
    Add a few family visits and a few lazy stay at home and read days and the weeks fly by.
    And I still end up in a mad panic in the last week fitting in hair appts and filling prescriptions.

9. You could make a start on your novel.
    Everyone I know seems to be writing one.

10. I will be teaching a new course, so I've borrowed a big pile of book from the library and intend to spend the summer holidays reading them. I've also got a big pile of Shakespeare DVDs which I intend to watch in the evenings (every single Shakespeare play). So if I can work may through the books and plays I wil feel I've accomplished something useful. Also intend to visit English Heritage and National Trust places, inclduding hopefully Stonehenge. Will also drive to the seaside on nice days.

11. magic surf bus

I'll be spending the warm summer days indoors, writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Do you like painting and heights? I'll put you up for free, feed and water you and pay you £100 to paint the outside of my house.
    No? Looks like I'll have to do it myself then [​IMG]

*sorry msb, I Iiked your format too much*

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think there's a lot of mileage to be gained with that sort of idea.

14. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

There was a house on Grand Designs that was all built using free labour for bed & board. Turned out well too x

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I suppose it could be an interesting way to spend the hols for someone practical who doesn't mind a bit of hard graft; travelling around the country, from house to house and doing odd jobs for people.

16. magic surf bus

I think it used to be called 'Changing Rooms' didn't it?

17. Are you my twin by any chance?!
    Seriously, I have this same 'problem' with the 6 week summer break. I tend to get a bit bored and down if I have too much free time, and it's hard when most of your friends and partner are at work- makes me feel guilty too. The last 2 years I've hosted a teenager from abroad in my home and taught them English on weekdays- with an organisation canned Living Learning English, the money was fair as well. This year, as I'm pregnant, my nearest and dearest have persuaded me not to do it, so lord knows what I''ll do!
    Still, I've been making notes on an A4 pad of all the many jobs I need to do round the house etc, plus dentist/opticians trips- all the things we usually put off due to being too busy! Also I plan to get loads of books from the library and spend whole days sat in the garden with them. I like the idea of writing a novel, thanks whoever suggested it!
    Apart from that, please keep the suggestions coming everyone, I have added this thread to my hotlist!

18. Nature is a language: can't you read?

19. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Nah
    Only asking!

20. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

How old do you have to be before you no longer count as a 'young one'?

I LOVE the summer holidays. I've never been stuck for something to do and, for the past two or three years, I have not booked a holiday.....just 6 weeks of rising late, getting ready at leisure, going to the gym, lunching, reading in the garden, cleaning out cupboards and throwing out the **** I've acculated during the year....LOVE it.
    The first 2 years of teaching I was perhaps a bit lonelier due to my friends all being in relationships. I wanted to go on a holiday to relax at the end of my NQT year, so I booked a trip to Greece and the Greek Islands with a company called Top Deck via STA travel. The following year, I did another trip for 3 weeks travelling around Europe; I met a friend and ended up going home with her to New Zealand for two weeks (luckily I had savings and decided to blow them on a ticket from Amsterdam to Auckland, ended up getting an upgrade too!).
    The following year, my friend (who is Kiwi but lives in London) joined another tour together to Turkey.
    I've not been away for (I think) three years, but I'm starting a new job in September, so am looking forward to a long and quiet 6 weeks off. I'll admit, back in May when my poor ***** cat was killed, the thought of six weeks at home without a cat to sit on my knee and purr whilst I read my book made me feel sick! I used to love just pottering about the house and garden with the cat mooching about nearby. However, I'm enjoying having two new little kittens and am looking forward to finally being able to let them outside to explore whilst I'm in the garden (hopefully) in the sun.
    So, in short, embrace the holidays! Before long, you'll be tied to your desk and chained to your computer, you'll be going out before the sun's up and be coming home after dark...just enjoy some down time in the sunlight!