1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do in the next 6months before starting my pgce?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pottyparrot, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Can any current students or teachers give me any advice on how best to fill the next 6months before starting my PGCE?

I ama lready going into a school twice a week and volunteer in a summer camp. Is there anything more academic I could do, soemthing within the school, a course...any suggestions?

:)

2. Can any current students or teachers give me any advice on how best to fill the next 6months before starting my PGCE?

I ama lready going into a school twice a week and volunteer in a summer camp. Is there anything more academic I could do, soemthing within the school, a course...any suggestions?

:)

3. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Have a rest and see a lot of all your friends and family as you won't once you start!

4. If you're not at Uni, then a part time job might be wise, money will be tight once you start, and you won't be able to hold down a job once on the course.

5. As others have said, any serious reading you do now will have very little effect on your PGCE, as you have enough time to do targeted reading of text books on your course, usually in preparation for your assignments. Just brush up (gently) on your subject knowledge, looking at exam syllabuses (for secondary) and NC for primary, but don't over do it.
    Getting R&R, getting home and study environments sorted, spending quality time with loved ones, will repay handsomely!

6. Sleep. Get lots of sleep and enjoy having a social life.

7. Have a go at the online QTS tests, make sure you are prepared for them, then you can get them out of the way as soon as you get you registration number from Uni.

8. I absolutely echo everything that has been said on here before...

This time last year I wrote an almost identical post asking for pre-PGCE advice, and now I am 2/3 of the way through my course.. it goes SO quickly!

Money will be tight- you won't be able to have a job as well as PGCE- it's far too much work to do both, and now I believe there are no more bursaries for certain subjects (?) if you can save money somehow- do!

Don't do too much work- depending on your subject/ university course, you will have plenty of time to do that, just enjoy your time now.

I 100% agree, do the practice skills tests now- especially the ICT and numeracy ones- ICT is not hard, but it doesn't use a Windows or recognizable system, so if you can get used to it now, it will save you some time. The maths one has two parts- one is a timed mental arithmetic, 18 seconds to answer a question- if you are like me, hated maths at school, and thought "waheey I'll never have to do 'maths' again" then start taking them now to get a feel for it and dust the cobwebs off!

Depending on your subject, brush up on your knowledge (I'm English, so read over most of the classics, went on exam boards and checked what the set texts were and read those etc and also brushed up on my grammar etc...)

Most of all, have fun, and don't worry if you see lots of people saying they are having a bad time on these forums- yes it is the hardest year of my life so far, but also the best, and remember people tend to post about the bad things before they think to celebrate the good things!

enjoy your time off and good luck!!! :)

9. Sort out your filing system! Invest in plenty of lever-arches, ringbinders, folders, box files etc. Figure out how you're going to keep yourself organised while on the course. Buy a printer - you'll need it!