1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do for three weeks of transition

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gudhai, Jun 21, 2018.

1. gudhai

gudhai New commenter

Hi, NQT here. My school will be doing 3 weeks of transition (the whole of July). I'm struggling to think of what to do as the children will have already done end of term assessments but as the transition is three weeks I don't want to be 'off timetable' so to speak as that may/ will spark behaviour issues. Upper Key Stage 2 btw.

Any ideas welcome and truly appreciated.

2. jayandkaymawson

jayandkaymawson New commenter

I would do a writing project for literacy, a week on addition and subtraction a week on multiplication and division and a week on shape space and measure plus a mini topic for the afternoon maybe an open question that can lead to a project use it as an opportunity to get a baseline for next year it’s a pretty great opportunity to get a head start on the next academic year!

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I'm Year 5, we still don't know quite how long we have. If I get any good ideas we can share.
    I would certainly try and do some longer term bits of work to keep them gong for a few days at a time.
    Are you getting your new "next year" class?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I would do a cross curricular topic, covering maths, english, art, DT etc-design a theme park seems to crop up quite often!

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

6. vickytoria

vickytoria New commenter

We have two weeks. After the first “getting to know you” bit at the start, I just get on with a normal timetable. That way routines are already familiar in September.

A Literacy Shed writing unit might be good, so you can see what their writing’s like in several different text types.

I always do place value in maths to get idea of how they are with the basics and some sort of art activity to get work up on the walls ready for the new academic year.

I’m keeping my class next year, so I’m just going to plough on as normal in order to get them ready to hit the ground running in September!

Stiltskin likes this.
  7. Kayleighp92

Kayleighp92 New commenter

Wow that's a long transition period! Good luck with it all. I have some transition activities on my blog that may be helpful: www.missprimary.co.uk

There are also fun maths activities that can fill in little gaps/ maths starters or plenary! X

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

3 weeks?! I thought having just a morning of transition was bad enough o_O

Bumptious, drvs and hammie like this.
  9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

If you have got your new class for 3 weeks (??) then I do agree with Vickytoria, you're going to be best getting into proper routine right from the off.

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What to do? Tell your SLT where to stick their three weeks. Absurd.

Bumptious likes this.
  11. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

We’re having a day of transition this year instead of an hour or two and that, in itself, is enough to irritate me. Like many other Y6 teachers, I am currently suffering from post-SAT/leaver’s celebration/transition/hormonal pupils etc exhaustion and will find it difficult to sustain my ‘bursting with enthusiasm’ persona for a whole day, let alone 3 weeks!

12. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I was going to say this, 3 weeks is absurd so ... consider it a theme unit on "change" and go from there.

13. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Design a board game.
    They have to design the board, the dice they're using (get some work in on 3D shape nets), write instructions for it, play test it and of course test all their friends' versions as well, design packaging for it... can extend it further into producing adverts for it, playscripting adverts and recording them to show the rest of the class if you've got recording equipment handy etc... and if you let them colour in all of the above using the gel pens they've been pestering you to use at every inappropriate point during the entire school year - it'll take them about a day to colour in one bubble letter in sparkly pink gel pen!