1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do for the rest of term?

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by simon1971, Jun 21, 2011.

1. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

Hi. I have a nice Year 9/10 GCSE Business group who have done their GCSE in a year. Trouble is they have now completed the course and there is 3 1/2 weeks left.
    I have devised an enterprise activity surrounding the development of a Fairtrade product, and have got students to design a cereal box a la The Apprentice. They have now done this and I am stuck for what to do next that is creative, fun and stimulating. Any ideas?

2. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

Hi. I have a nice Year 9/10 GCSE Business group who have done their GCSE in a year. Trouble is they have now completed the course and there is 3 1/2 weeks left.
    I have devised an enterprise activity surrounding the development of a Fairtrade product, and have got students to design a cereal box a la The Apprentice. They have now done this and I am stuck for what to do next that is creative, fun and stimulating. Any ideas?

3. glynmanton

glynmanton New commenter

There is a national competition for designing a new subway sandwich would keep them busy and a chance to enter a national competition!

4. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Get in guest speakers from local business to talk about their business then SWOT them after they have left. Good activity for applying business knowledge to real life, and developing analytical skills.

5. HiyahTreading water activities;<font size="2"> </font>Without computersChop up bits of the betterware catalogue they have to choose a product learn all about it then present it back to a couple of teachers (or you) in teams. Winners get a certificate / box of chocs / pat on the back.<font size="2"></font>Or take in a tinfoil tray (like the sort you get from a take away) and given that to every team and they had to come up with lots of ideas. <font size="2"></font>Or give teams; potato / apple / orange / glass of water / bottle of milk and "add value" by adding ingredients and processes, come up with a product and "sell it" to you. <font size="2"></font>Or buy 6 bottles of soda water and a load of plastic cups. They have to re-brand the soda water (in teams) make a label, come up with an image, acquire sponsorship from a sports person (thats good for a 20 min discussion alone), stick it on then get together and vote on which is the best.<font size="2"></font>Or have team box / craft making activities www.hp.com and assign "managers" to the teams; autocratic, democratic and laissez faire, they can be really extreme, students vote at the end for which style was best.<font size="2"></font>Or plasticine is &pound;1 at ASDA buy a few packs, split into teams they have to make miniature items (cars / dolls house stuff) and some people are assigned as "quality control managers" and are able to squash any items that don't come up to spec.<font size="2"></font>Or buy old monopoly boards from charity shops and play monopoly in teams
    With computers
    Retail high street; they can choose a store, find out what is happening and report back to the group - build up a high street in crisis display; Jane Norman, Habitat, Carpetright, Focus, RAC, Thorntons etc.
    OR: lots of good ideas here: http://www.revisionstation.co.uk/page18.htm
    Regards; sarah :0)