1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do at the end of contract...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by EmaleeG, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Hi there, I am currently working in an International School in the Czech Republic and have a contract til June 2012. My question is really- I am still an NQT (1 term to complete) and am wondering what to do at the end of my contract. Do I return to the UK to try to get my last term done- or carry on abroad and potentially return to the UK some years down the line but still an NQT????? Not sure what to do for the best as I'm still not convinced that living abroad is 100% for me- I don't hate it just not 100% sure. Any advice/ suggestions gratefully received... Emalee

2. Hi there, I am currently working in an International School in the Czech Republic and have a contract til June 2012. My question is really- I am still an NQT (1 term to complete) and am wondering what to do at the end of my contract. Do I return to the UK to try to get my last term done- or carry on abroad and potentially return to the UK some years down the line but still an NQT????? Not sure what to do for the best as I'm still not convinced that living abroad is 100% for me- I don't hate it just not 100% sure. Any advice/ suggestions gratefully received... Emalee

3. ImmodestyBlaise

ImmodestyBlaise New commenter

I think you'll find it increasingly hard to get an NQT position the longer you leave it and you'll become time barred from doing supply work. I think you can probably forget about working in the UK unless you get it completed asap. Do it!!!!

4. Thanks- so you think go back to the UK and (try to) finish NQT? I still have 3 terms of supply to complete one term of induction which I guess is a good position- its just the lack of supply...
    Thanks for the reply :)

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Are you that sure? You have only experienced the Czech Republic. You might really love some other country and/or school. But, much more to the point, getting a job in the UK at the moment is bloody desperate, unless you teach in a shortage subject AND are prepare to work in the school whose pupils even Lucifer would reject. And the general UK outlook is starting to make hell look pretty good at the moment.

Is your school prepared to renew your contract? If so, and it's not a bad place, then extending would definitely look good on your CV. If not, I'd seriously advise that you start looking hard for another international position now. Building up a track record on the international scene may prove a lot easier than chasing a job in the UK, especially while you are abroad and not available for interview. Or are you intending to start looking for work at the end of the school year - in competition with both this years AND last years teacher training graduates.

Anyway, good luck.

6. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

I think you will find, whatever your preferences, the reality is out of your hands. Your future will be determined by whoever is willing to give you an opportunity; jobs are scarce and many teachers are seeking work. As such, discount nothing and keep your options open. Good luck.

7. Thank you for the replies- definitely food for thought.
    I was only thinking that the longer I leave it the harder it will be to gain an NQT position- anywhere. I hear it s very rare for an International School to take on NQT's and although the school I am at is nice I don't intend to stay forever!! My thoughts are to go back to the UK in June to try and finish NQT (just 1 term) and then potentially stay there or move Internationally again??????????????????????????????????
    So much to think about but I am very grateful for any suggestions/comments :)
    Emalee

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

For once, I really do have to agree with SuperDave. Perhaps you should go and have a look at some of the desperate postings on the "Unemployed Teachers" forum and the "NQT forum" and then you will understand why going back to the UK might be a rather bad idea. On the other hand, if you are a Chemistry or Physics teacher, then of course you can go back to the UK, pass Go, collect £200, Get out of Jail Free and walk on water.
    I have never taught in the Czech Republic, but I have been there six times and even proposed to a Czech girl (who turned me down). Anyway, there are heaps of other interesting countries in the world and some of them probably pay better too, so why not try your luck elsewhere? Your international experience will help you to get another international job, but it won't have much value in the UK. Yes, some international schools do sign up NQTs. My present school in Doha has signed up some Scottish NQT lassies who say that there are no jobs in Scotland.

9. On the one hand - get your NQT year out of the way and sorted - then you can go anywhere you want.
    On the other hand - there are no jobs here. Don't come back if you have the chance of a job somewhere else UNLESS you have already secured a post here!