1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do around St Paul's cathedral

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon3518, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I am planning on taking 60 year 2 children to St Paul's to link in with the Great Fire and an art unit on buildings. Have provisionally booked workshop at cathedral and am going to do a reccy (sp?) in next week. However the workshop and lunch will probably finish about 1230 and wanted to do something else nearby so as to maximise our time up in central London (am in South West London)
    Obviously I will have a look around when I get up there but has anyone else done anything nearby St Pauls which is possible with 60 year 2s. Thinking that maybe could walk to Museum of London to do a self-guided visit but might not be practical/GFL overload/safe walking to museum ( could get coach to take us there...)
    any ideas people?
    H

2. I am planning on taking 60 year 2 children to St Paul's to link in with the Great Fire and an art unit on buildings. Have provisionally booked workshop at cathedral and am going to do a reccy (sp?) in next week. However the workshop and lunch will probably finish about 1230 and wanted to do something else nearby so as to maximise our time up in central London (am in South West London)
    Obviously I will have a look around when I get up there but has anyone else done anything nearby St Pauls which is possible with 60 year 2s. Thinking that maybe could walk to Museum of London to do a self-guided visit but might not be practical/GFL overload/safe walking to museum ( could get coach to take us there...)
    any ideas people?
    H

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Cross the Millenium bridge and visit the Tate Modern or do observational stuff along the embankment (can you find a ....., can you see a , ......., which is taller ... or......), possibly even do sketches of parts of buildings or scenes, take photos to bring back to school and work on. Are you actually going to the Monument as well - got to be worth a look.

5. I'm sure I took a group to the museum of London and walked to St Pauls from there. Might be a bit much if you are having a guided workshop at St Pauls though. Sketching the river would be good (imagine trying from to escape from the fire by boat) and looking at the buildings along the river. I don't think you'll have that much time and you need to think about toilet access with y2s....