1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to do after English AQA in one year? HELP please?!

Discussion in 'English' started by lveetee, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Is anyone doing English in one year? If so, what are you doing the year after? It can't be Lit as it isn't allowed with English (has to be English Language, which the higher ability sets have done.)
    The reason I didn't put these students in for Eng Lang is that English seemed to be an easier course for the lower ability students. I don't think they'd like the Lit course - lots of poetry! My previous head wanted them to do a vocational course, but the new head isn't keen and doesn't like Functional Skills either. Any suggestions for an English related GCSE in Sept would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

We're doing Lit, but a different spec. That's allowed.

3. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

If they've all done English in one year and managed to get a C then it's worth giving them a shot at literature. I'm sure you're allowed to do that.

4. gruoch

You can't do AQA Lit if you've done AQA English (just an example). It's compulsory if you do English Language.

5. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

When you say "compulsory" Grouch, students <u>can </u>do Eng Lang without entering for Lit, but the results for any student who does this won't count towards the school's results. (We did Lang in yr 10 and then have pupils who, for various, genuine reasons, aren't able to do Lit in yr 11. They will still be certificated for their Lang. result, even though not entered for Lit, but the results won't show for the school).
    It could be worth contacting AQA (if that's the board OP is with) to see about entering Lit without having done Lang. By entering Lang. you've fulfilled the criteria for your results to be "counted" - can't see why exam board (or even Gove!) would want to stop a cohort of students from studying Literature and gaining a formal qualification at the end of it? I'm guessing now, but assume the same rule as above would apply - the students would get their Lit certificated but this exam for them wouldn't count in the school results.
    Another possibility is to offer Media Studies... go over to the Media forum and ask about doing it in one year?
    Hope this helps

6. gruoch

I understand that, but the question was about English, not English Lang.

7. Thanks for the responses - I half wish I'd never bothered with English in the first place, but then I didn't realise that if they didn't enter for Lit then they couldn't be counted towards school results. Thanks for pointing this out to me. This is so annoying. I might change exam boards next year- are the others any better?

8. gruoch

In terms of combining English with Lit, they are identical.

9. Eh? How do you mean? Sorry to sound stupid...

10. gruoch

If you are doing English with e.g. AQA, you need to do Lit with e.g WJEC

11. Great - thanks Gruoch. Just had a quick look at your resources too. Shakespeare ones look great. Will be using those over the next few weeks (simplifying for Year 7 Intro to Shakespeare.) Thank you for those.
    I will look into WJEC Lit tomorrow. English (not Eng Lang) alone will count towards the league tables won't it? Please say yes; AQA did tell me that it did but I'm losing faith in them.

12. sunflower48

sunflower48 New commenter

With WJEC if you choose to do English Language you HAVE to do English Literature, well you have to be entered for this. Language results will not count if the Lit is not entered. English only does not have a separate Literature with it but does count in league tables.