1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHAT TO DO ABOUT CULTURE OF TOLERATING ASSAULTS & RACIAL ABUSE?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pangar, Dec 16, 2011.

1. While on a brief short term supply placement at a SEBN school, I was shamed by a care worker who bravely recorded a daily diary of the physical assaults and racial abuse routinely directed at staff by the children. What concerned me was not that disturbed and disaffected children are likely to behave badly when given the opportunity but the way in which the management routinely allowed such abuse to happen, without challenging it directly and taking steps to ensure that it is not repeated. Indeed, I suspect that one member of staff- who routinely swears in front of students and engages in ribald sexual 'humour' with the staff- shares the skewed racial stereotyping so volubly expressed by some of the children.
    I should add that I was not physically assaulted or relentlessly baited for being a foreigner while I was there. I did notice the appalling effect that this treatment had on a young care worker who happens to be a trained teacher. I think it is appalling that she should be driven out of that job by the de facto culture of tolerating the abuse. I wonder what the unions and the regulatory body for teachers have to say about this sort of situation? I just hope that I don't have to post on here in January to share my 'I told you so' observations if a member of staff is hospitalised thanks to the aforementioned slapdash attitude of the mangement, who routinely refer to some staff by insulting nicknames without realising that the door to the office is not soundproof!

2. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

Hi I am sorry for your experience 'In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.' - Martin Luther KingIf it really bothers you, do something about it. - Such behaviour should not be over looked, for both adults and children. In particular we have a responsibility to the children in our care.Good Luckmalteaser muncher

3. To whom should one direct one's concerns? The problem lies with the private company running these schools so they are hardly best placed to self regulate. You can't refer the matter to a local authority as they have no control over such schools. I suppose you could seek advice and assistance from a trade union but, in my experience, they cater to the needs of their core demographic, without fear or favour.
    FYI, you have not spelt maltesers correctly, and I fail to see what your gnomic farewelll greeting has to do with the situation!

4. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

ok then, do nothing. Have a rant about it and lets see if that makes the situation any better.
    At least you can say, I told you so to the next 'hospitalised' individual.
    Good luck - as in I wish you luck no matter what you choose to do about the situation! - as in I understand the difficulty of your position and the fustration you feel. But like you say if nothing is done the situation will never change. Being a supply does not make it easy, but as someone who has no intention of staying in this place, you are in the position of voicing what your opinion about the school. Everyone school, no matter public or private is concerned about the image they present to the public. -
    AND Its my name so I think I can choose how I spell it!
    BUT if it bothers you so much I will change it - there you are, you got another ' I told you so' moment.[​IMG]