1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to disclose at interview

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by mitc, Aug 19, 2012.

1. I am a teaching assistant currently studying for a degree through the Open University in order to then pursue my dream of becoming a teacher.

I currently work in a one-form entry primary school (my first and only job as a TA) and would like to experience a TA role in a multi-form entry school whilst continuing with my studies.

My question to you, as head teachers is, do I disclose my ambition to become a teacher at an interview as this will mean that I wouldn't be staying in the job long-term? I do have another 5 years until I get my degree and then I would leave for teacher training. Do head teachers look favourably on TAs with the ambition to becoming a teacher?

I look forward to your opinions. Thank you for reading.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A TA who commits to staying for 5 years is very long term! Many TAs stay for a year before starting teacher training.

Definitely say so if it comes up. But remember the HT wants to appoint the best TA, not necessarily the most ambitious.

3. I would definitely say yes. Be honest about your ambition.

4. I think this can definitely be to your advantage - most likely you will be asked why you want the post or what you can bring etc. If you say something along the lines of .."as my LONG term ambition is to be a teacher I want to learn as much as I can and work really hard to become experienced and proficient as I can in my role as TA. I see this as an excellent springboard for my future career." This will demonstrate your commitment and the fact that you will be willing to go the extra mile ..I would be impressed. Good Luck