1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to cover in School visit.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by HollieT85, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I have arranged a three day visit to my local seconday school to spend time in the D&T department, does anyone have any advice as to what I should be asking the staff to ensure that, should I decide to apply for a PGCE place in the next academic year , I have the relevant information. My brother -in-law has recently secured a place on a PGCE for History and advised me to get information about the curriculum. Any other helpful suggestions? [​IMG]

2. DM

DM New commenter

3. Hello,
    You could ask about planning (by lesson, term, year, specific objectives, etc), inclusion, behaviour management, the challenges of that particular school, what they like/dislike about teaching - all that kind of stuff. Basically, just make sure you take in as much as you can, ask loads of questions (though not so many as to be annoying) and be prepared to muck in! I wrote a diary each day and wwent through the structure of the day, any issues (educational, behavioural or otherwise) that rose up, how they were resolved, how I thought I might handle the same situations etc etc. I was lucky, in that the school I visited was really cool - they let me look at prep, planning folders, and let me get involved with the kids.
    Enjoy it, hope it goes well!