1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to cook for Christmas Eve?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Marshall, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Three adults. Having turkey and beef on Christmas day. Love cooking and preparation so not worried about the work but a bit stuck - so many ideas...! Nothing spicy like curry (I would love this but hubby and his sister don't).

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Pork chops with a sticky and spicy apricot sauce?

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

My mother used to live in Vienna and I grew up with Christmas food heavily influenced by her experiences there: we always had fish on Christmas eve, which is actually a good idea before what most people find turns into a meaty blow-out over the next few days.
    Something like a Koulibiaca looks impressive but is easy to do.

4. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Koulibiaca - is that a salmon coulibac (don't know the spelling!). I thought about fish because it can be light (even though I am not overly keen). Pork - sister in law doesn't like it! Believe it or not we are not picky eaters!
    Saw a Rick Stein receipe for Monkfish with peppers but can't find it now.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Christmas Eve?
    We always have the same meal....
    Sausages - preferably Bratwurst- with Potato Salad and/or Fried Potatoes.
    Eaten around about 6pm....and then we'll have a mulled wine whilst opening the pressies!
    (For us, fish is a New Year dish....Mum still bemoans the fact that she can't get decent carp over here!)

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yep, that's the one:
    • large sheet of puff pastry
    • cover with cooked rice mixed with butter and chopped dill (& lots of seasoning)
    • layer of cooked fish (preferably salmon, but it works with others (fab with smoked yellow fish!))
    • hard boiled eggs, either whole or sliced
    • another layer of fish
    • roll up
    • glaze and bake
    (originally a whole salmon stuffed with whole eggs and surrounded with rice and pastry I believe, but the above is how I do it!).
    I serve it with a dill/mustard sauce (similar to the one I make to go with gravad lax) or a beurre blanc, I don't know what is traditional.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Get a takeaway, you've got enough to do!!

8. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Takeaway not an option - none near us and I like to cook!
    Thanks for the Coubliac recipe!

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We always have fish on Christmas Eve. This year we will be having fish pie. To be served with peas because that is compulsory [​IMG]

10. I love coulibiac and that is exactly how I do mine. In fact, that is such a good idea I think I'll do that for Christmas Eve. I have a very large trout in the freezer perfect for the job.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

My family traditionally have fish on Christmas Eve - partly because it's quite light, with all the impending indulgence.
    Usually fish pie or bouillabaise (or similar fish soup).
    Having said that, my dad's informed me we're having a confit of duck tart this year, and I'm cooking it. I'm guessing it's going to be quite rich!

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We usually have ham too as I cook the ham on Christmas Eve or the day before. Often served with braised red cabbage, jacket spuds and Cumberland sauce.

13. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Christmas Eve we tend to have something completely non-Christmassy in order that the Christmas food eaten over the following two days in all the more yummy and feels like a treat.
    Often, we'll have a pasta bake, or fajitas, or once we even had a curry. Or something simple like eggs and chips.

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

it varies here. when we're at my family's, it's usually a takeaway as we're all knackered - mum and dad are at work all day and us kids have been out doing last bits for them and travelling. At mr s' lot, we have a family meal for nephew's birthday on the 23rd. christmas eve is strictly just me and mr s, and we're out for a meal by ourselves :D

15. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Decided! A fish stew/bouillabaise which will please all of us.
    Now - what about pudding?

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'd be inclined not to have a pud, but to have mince pies and mulled wine earlier!

17. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Hubby and sister in law are big pudding fans. I would be very happy with a mince pie and cream but they will feel cheated.
    Ideas please!

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sussex pond pudding, nice and lemony after the fish.

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, something lemony and not too heavy ideally, given that no-one wants to wake on Christmas day with indigestion.
    A lemon syllabub/posset with shortbread biscuits?

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Lemon mousse or ice cream,, lemon souffle, hot or cold.