1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to buy for EYFS GTP? (home office etc)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by FlibbleJibblet, May 30, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Starting a Primary Early Years GTP in September and am wondering what things I should start getting?
    I figure at least a place to work at home ideally desk and filling draws etc, but am wondering what things people have found particuarly useful?
    One of my current debates, and certainly biggest cost wise, would be a laptop. I can see great use in taking your work computer from school to home constantly in Secondary Schools, and even higher Primary years, but am less certain how useful it will be in early years. Certainly can't see it being use DURING class. Knowing me (gadget obsessed) I'd only end up getting a top of the range mac laptop too, so far from a cheap option! Any thoughts?

Also wondering on clothes etc, and plan to buy lots of shirts/trousers (I'm a guy btw!) but wondering if spending decent money on comfy shoes is wise? I'd suspect it is and am considering some fitflops (although am concerned they look a little too much like trainers). Would this just be a waste?

Basically after any tips people have on items they would deem really useful.

2. Hi guys,

Starting a Primary Early Years GTP in September and am wondering what things I should start getting?
    I figure at least a place to work at home ideally desk and filling draws etc, but am wondering what things people have found particuarly useful?
    One of my current debates, and certainly biggest cost wise, would be a laptop. I can see great use in taking your work computer from school to home constantly in Secondary Schools, and even higher Primary years, but am less certain how useful it will be in early years. Certainly can't see it being use DURING class. Knowing me (gadget obsessed) I'd only end up getting a top of the range mac laptop too, so far from a cheap option! Any thoughts?

Also wondering on clothes etc, and plan to buy lots of shirts/trousers (I'm a guy btw!) but wondering if spending decent money on comfy shoes is wise? I'd suspect it is and am considering some fitflops (although am concerned they look a little too much like trainers). Would this just be a waste?

Basically after any tips people have on items they would deem really useful.

3. Our school computers are really slow so I'm planning to take my laptop to school as much as possible for use during the day when not teaching. Maybe your school network is better than ours? If you're in EYFS, I'd think a laminator is a pretty essential bit of kit.

4. I second whoever it was that said a laminator would be useful. I'd also invest in a good quality guillotine as well - so much easier to have one at home instead of fighting it out for the school ones when you want something chopping first thing in the morning.

I'd also recommend a good quality printer - I know that it might seem obvious but again, it'll save you a lot of time and worry if the school ones run out of ink/decide to stop working etc. Definitely invest in some good filing... personally I'm a lever arch fan but go with what works for you :)