1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to ask former HoD before they leave

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by kateimeldaward, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I've been appointed to my first HoD role (physics) and have a meeting with the former HoD next week, as she leaves at the end of this term. I will be new to the school and the department. I'd appreciate any advice on what sort of questions I should ask her and documentation to get my hands on.

Many thanks,

Kate.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

With luck your school will have a handover policy and will also have someone to help with the handover.

The key person in the Physics Dept will be your technician - I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted on this!

I'm sure you don't need telling the obvious - SOW etc.

In Physics check H&S procedures including Radiation Protection. Check memberships e.g. CLEAPSS, ASE, IOP. Ordering and stocktaking, practical requisitions etc. Find out who the timetabler and exams officer are - and get to know them.

If you can manage a meeting outside the school - you might get some more informal information!

3. Thanks Skeoch.

4. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Where are all the staples? - almost seriously, it's the little things you never think about that you really wish you'd asked! In Science at least you'll have good technicians, and they can be really helpful. Ask the outgoing incumbent what she wished she'd been told... get her mellow, a few glasses of wine, and she'll tell you all the things you really need to know!