1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what to ask at the interview?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by littlemissnewbie, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Hi I have an interview this week and am wondering what kind of questions you ask at the end?
    I know interviews usually end with the head asking if you have any questions and I want to have some prepared, but what would be a good one?
    thanks x

2. At my last interview I asked:
    Can you tell me about the structure of the school day? (The interview wes at a PRU, so different from mainstream school)
    And,
    Will there be any opportunities for further training?
    It's probably a good idea to have a few questions ready just in case they give you the answer to the question you were going to ask.
    Good Luck!

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Having been involved in TA interviews in the past I always urge caution about the last part - do, by all means, make a list of possible questions, but don't feel obliged to ask one. It is better to say that they have covered everything you had planned to ask than to flounder and ask something which you haven't thought out well.
    Make a list of obvious questions you would expect to be covered just in case they aren't and, of course, you may want to ask them to elaborate on something which is mentioned in the interview. You can ask about, numbers in classes, sizes of groups, intervention programmes they use, range of abilities, provision for SEN and/or G and T pupils,booster groups, number of other TAs, number of teachers, whether you will be working with one year group/class/ks or around the whole of the school - you know what is relevant to the job you're applying for. Have a question which you feel shows your knowledge well (if it's a primary you might have something about transition across the key stages or you may ask about the new proposals for the NC which suggest that ks2 is too big and should be split) and if they answer it in interview you can say, "Well, I was going to ask about ......, but you have already covered that."
    I have actually experienced a candidate losing a job which she was almost certain to get by suddenly losing her cool when she was asked if she would accept the job if it was offered to her - she seemed to have second thoughts over the fact that it took her longer to get to this school than to her current one, which was surely something she should have considered beforehand.
    There was disagreement amongst the interview panel over who to then offer the job to and it went to a candidate who had actually not asked much at all but simply answered questions - she came across as calm and and quiet (quite different from the rest of us who worked there at the time) and was given the job.
    I

4. Thanks both for replies...I'm going to try and make a list now. eeek i'm so nervous! x