1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to ask at interview/any last minute tips?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ANNABEL39, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hi everyone. I have my first TA interview tomorrow. I only qualified last month at level 2. I have been in a reception class for over a year. I have only had a week to prepare, not that much time as I have a 7 and 3 year old who take up my time!! I found the thread with what I might be asked on here and it's really helpful. i have been brushing up on the curriculum and the literacy strategies etc. I have looked at that much stuff on the internet that I think I may have made it worse for myself. i am also extremely nervous as it's my first interview for about 7 years. What might be a good question to ask, if any. have been looking at the school website to see if I can ask anything from the info on there and also show I have looked at it!!

Any tips or advice on any of the above would be greatly received. I am REALLY nervous now

Thanks

Annabel

2. Hi everyone. I have my first TA interview tomorrow. I only qualified last month at level 2. I have been in a reception class for over a year. I have only had a week to prepare, not that much time as I have a 7 and 3 year old who take up my time!! I found the thread with what I might be asked on here and it's really helpful. i have been brushing up on the curriculum and the literacy strategies etc. I have looked at that much stuff on the internet that I think I may have made it worse for myself. i am also extremely nervous as it's my first interview for about 7 years. What might be a good question to ask, if any. have been looking at the school website to see if I can ask anything from the info on there and also show I have looked at it!!

Any tips or advice on any of the above would be greatly received. I am REALLY nervous now

Thanks

Annabel

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

When I went for my interview, I had looked at the school website and at their Ofsted report, and identified that setting maths targets was one of their priorities. I asked in the interview whether this was something I would have the ability to influence - and I could tell from their reaction that they liked this question (shows you have done your research, and also that you are keen to help with things that may not be your direct responsibility). You could ask about training - although budgets are tight, they may well have an internal training programme. A manager I know (in industry) told me that the best question he had ever heard in an interview was "is there anything you are looking for that I haven't yet demonstrated?" Good luck!

4. Hi, when I had my interview a couple of months ago, I asked specific questions about whether I would be supporting individuals or groups of students, what their needs would be and how the school encourages TA's to develope specific skills and tactics to deal with particular issues. The questions that seemed to go down the best was when I asked how the SEN team measures its sucess, whether in terms of GCSE results or other measures, such as development of social or personal skills, taking part in outside activities, going on to college, vocational skills etc.
    good luck for your interview, I am sure you will be fine.

5. Thank you. I was interviewed for 2 posts and both of these were given to qualified teachers who applied for them!! Not much hope when up against teachers. Feel like I wasted my time a bit apart from the fact I am newly qualified and got some very positive feedback. Thanks again for your replies.

Annabel