1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What to ask at HOD interview.

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Oliviae2012, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Oliviae2012

Oliviae2012 New commenter

Hello
    I’m an internal applicant for a Head of Dept role which means that a lot of the generic questions I could ask I already know the answer to!
    Can anyone give me some advice on what I could ask please, I think the ‘ any questions’ part is always a key factor in the decision making.

Thank you.

cys2017 likes this.
  2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

No need to ask a question for the sake of it. If there's nothing you need to ask, then just say you think everything's been covered, thank you.
    Good luck.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You must have some questions about the role, even if you are an internal candidate?

This is also your chance to raise the subject of pay...

There are no special questions that must be asked, just whatever you need to know!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask questions only where the answer could be a deal breaker.

If you can find the answer on the website, or from documentation you could have requested, then you'll look daft asking it.

If you ask a question for the sake of asking, you'll look daft.

Best of luck.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I would always ask what their priorities are for the department - it is useful to know if you and they are coming from the same direction

6. cork227

cork227 New commenter

I asked about a CPD programme for middle leaders when I went for an internal HoD role as I had heard the school offered something and wanted more details. (Although be careful they don't see your asking about CPD as a sign you're not up for the job..)

cys2017 likes this.